Wine cooler for fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wezza

Reaction score
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...-lwc34b15-wine-cooler-black-10118632-pdt.html

So I've been looking at this wine fridge to use as a fermentation fridge without having to faff around with circuits and controllers etc. This one fridge has a range of 4-18c which I'd imagine would be ideal and I can continue to check the fermentation temp with the stuck on thermometer that I currently use and adjust the fridge temp accordingly.
Anyone have experience of doing it like this? I'd imagine it being a step up from bucket in cold water for sure.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This would be great for lagers and pales but for anything like a Belgian or a wheat you would need a higher temperature for the Desired esters. Nice piece of kit though and would look quite cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I'd figured that my saisons will be fermented outside the fridge for some natural heat to bring out the good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For me, there are a couple of niggles with using this bit of kit:
  1. Ouch on the price! Brew Fridge No.1 cost me about £50 'cos it works and Brew Fridge No.2 was free 'cos it doesn't. Two 40W Tube Heaters cost £37 and two Inkbird TC's cost £28 so for £115 I have the flexibility of two fridges. No.1 can be used for cooling and heating and No.2 can be used just for heating.
  2. The other problem I foresee is the glass front. When a brew is carbonating it's best done somewhere dark because the yeast will naturally move towards the light and stick on the side of the bottles closest to the glass door. This is the reason I normally carbonate my brews for 2 weeks in the Brew Fridge; and even then, to remove as much yeast as possible from the sides of the bottle, I give each one a small shake before putting them on the shelves to condition.
Hope this helps. :thumb:

Back