Winter Brew and Swap - Tropical Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After rather a lot of discussion the sub-style has been chosen. It should be an interesting one, my ideas of what made a stout tropical have changed considerably after reading around on the style.

Swap date is end of November. If everyone is ready we'll aim to post weekend of 19th/20th and review on or around the following weekend.

Style guidelines here.
https://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/16/16C/tropical-stout/

Count me in! Had my recipe ready last week in anticipation of this style being the winner. Looking forward to brewing this one. 👍

Why,when reading the bjcp the voice in my head is Dave Heath's?
Also...Tropical Stout? I initially thought it might have been along the lines of American style stout..but this has no or very little hop aroma. I'm interested in the sound of it but fear it may be one of those 40 pint monsters that take months to beat into submission!

I think I might do a half batch. I've found a recipe off BYO website which I like through look of and probably have everything in stock.
Just a question about colour rating for crystal malts. Where a malt is described as say crystal 10,is that 10 Lovibond which I can then convert to EBC to find the nearest from my usual supplier?

I think I might do a half batch. I've found a recipe off BYO website which I like through look of and probably have everything in stock.
Just a question about colour rating for crystal malts. Where a malt is described as say crystal 10,is that 10 Lovibond which I can then convert to EBC to find the nearest from my usual supplier?
Same here - a 10L batch to give me a 5L mini keg and 10 bottles. If it's successful, I can always do another batch rather than 'forcing' my way through 20 or more bottles. 😄

Aaand mines brewed 🙃 or at least the first try. I had quite a lot of small bags of malts so managed to get a decent recipe together that hopefully ticks the main boxes. Actually dusted off the hydrometer for this one as it's bigger than I usually brew and wanted to make sure I hit the numbers.

If it's any good it'll be tricky to hang on to til November. Is it 3 x 500ml?

Seems to be mixed opinion on why it's called tropical...one is that its a derivative from tropical climates it was exported to and imitated with locally available ingredients. The other seems to be a stout type beer loaded up with hops to give a tropical fruit note. In that case it sounds like an American Stout or DBIPA.

Seems to be mixed opinion on why it's called tropical...one is that its a derivative from tropical climates it was exported to and imitated with locally available ingredients. The other seems to be a stout type beer loaded up with hops to give a tropical fruit note. In that case it sounds like an American Stout or DBIPA.
Think, rum, raisins and soft brown sugar.wink...

Seems to be mixed opinion on why it's called tropical...one is that its a derivative from tropical climates it was exported to and imitated with locally available ingredients.
This is how I understand it to be. Strong export stout, adapted by different localities using different ingredients depending on what grows there. Sadly I'm all out of sorghum but I gave it a shot

The BJCP comments on this style put my off a little...kept mentioning sweet. Don't do sweet beers
I have had dragon stout and don't remember thinking it was sweet, just thinner and a little less strong than a Foreign Extra Stout...

After investigating this beer, I'm quite intrigued. I love a stout and this sounds interesting....thus I'm about to order a couple of ingredients and give this a bash. Looking forward to brewday, which may be this weekend.

Latest posts

Back