Winter Brew and Swap - Tropical Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking @Stu's Brews tropical stout.

Opened with a little hiss, had to pour quite hard to get any head, carbonation quite low.

Aroma, choc and coffee with some stone fruit.

W
20230114_221822.jpg
ow, what a load of flavour, my taste buds aren't sure where to start. Full fruit almost red wine, followed by plum and roast coffee I think! Bit of alcohol in the aftertaste and a sort of old Holborn like smokiness (in a good way).

Overall, definitely the most complex tropical stout I've had, full of flavour, it sort of smacks you in the face. Haven't got much in the way of hops, disguised by the malt but I've really enjoyed it, thank you for sharing.

@Stu's Brews tropical stout.

Pours jet black with a nice head that lasts. Aroma of chocolate, dark malt and dark sweet sugar.
Nice body and flavour, sweet but not cloying. Nice clean flavour
This is better than my effort, really enjoying this. Well done 👏
View attachment 80751

Glad to see you and @pilgrimhudd enjoyed it after waiting so long! Ironically I think it conditioning for a bit longer has actually helped improve the flavours - I used black treacle and initially it was a bit over-powering but over time it has mellowed and allowed the other flavours to shine. I'm half-tempted to try it without the black treacle at some point just to see how much of a difference it makes.

This is the recipe:

Malts (all from Crisp):
  • Maris Otter - 4.50 kg
  • Light Munich - 0.50 kg
  • Chocolate - 0.20 kg
  • Crystal 150 - 0.20 kg
  • Crystal 240 - 0.20 kg
  • Crystal 400 - 0.10 kg
  • Roasted Barley - 0.10 kg
Adjuncts (added 10 minutes before end of boil):
  • Black Treacle - 0.45 kg
Hops:
  • Phoenix - 15g @ 60mins
  • Phoenix - 15g @ 30mins
Yeast: Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager (pitched at 1.5million cells/ml)

Water: 100ppm Chloride: 100ppm Sulphate

Mashed at 66degC for 60mins.
Fermented at 18degC and then raised to 21degC for diacetyl rest.

Last edited:
I've just opened one of mine brewed on 4th September. Not been home much since and missed the swap unfortunately. Anyone want one? I think Ive got 2 or 3 500ml bottles

I have none of mine left but if you're looking to swap for some feedback I'd happily send you a bottle of something else.
I really dropped the ball on this one. It's 9 months since and I had 3 bottles left that I've just noticed. I sampled a bottle and it's improved considerably since last time I opened one when I was very disappointed with it, but it's gone alright, in my opinion. I'll send you and Alastair a bottle, I don't expect anything back but if you did want to I'd be more than happy to try one of yours.

I really dropped the ball on this one. It's 9 months since and I had 3 bottles left that I've just noticed. I sampled a bottle and it's improved considerably since last time I opened one when I was very disappointed with it, but it's gone alright, in my opinion. I'll send you and Alastair a bottle, I don't expect anything back but if you did want to I'd be more than happy to try one of yours.
Thank you Jim. My address is the same. I’ll fire something back your way in return.

Hi Jim - happy to send you a bottle of mine. Will drop you a message to swap addresses.

Latest posts

Back