Witbier and beer engine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
currently brewing a Belgian Witbier and usally bottle it but was wondering if it would be ok if i used it with my beerengine?

currently brewing a Belgian Witbier and usally bottle it but was wondering if it would be ok if i used it with my beerengine?

Just carbonation to consider I guess. Instead of 2.8 vols (give or take) you’ll need it really low in carbonation (1.2 vols ish) for your engine 🍺

It will probably not be cloudy. Last weekend I drank a weizen beer from tap (SeaWise from Dutch Bargain), you get a clear beer of course.

It's a hopeless exercise unless you do drop the carbonation to 1.2 or lower (I usually say 1.1 volumes max., but have attached 5-7psi at a pinch). All of which isn't very characteristic for a "Witbier".

Many pumps will vibrate, creak, groan and generally sound unhealthy in response to pressure ("flapper" valves, well, flap!). You'll lose the beer left in the cylinder because it isn't sealed for pressure and will go flat. You may just get a glass of foam.

And for what purpose? It certainly wont look (or sound) good.

And you'll probable want it cold? Forget it!

thanks peewee
It's PeeBee; peewee is a very small child and I don't qualify 🤭

As for foamy beer from a handpump: I used to be diligent in "venting" my beer before putting on pump, but I don't bother now because after a couple of evenings serving frothy beer this effectively does the "venting" for me (unless considerably over-pressured: I aim for about 1.3 volumes carbonation but with time occasionally end up with 10-15psi - it's the laid-back yeasts I use). But I'd return to the pump next day and only a few mil comes out first pump.

This worried me until recently. Perhaps the demand-valves (aka hand-pump "check-valves") leak and beer in the pump cylinder is returning to the keg 🤢 ?

Na. The beer in the pump has turned to foam too, and when it settles in the cylinder, there's only a few mil left.

Hey PeeBee, what are the laid-back yeasts you use for your real ale?

Hey PeeBee, what are the laid-back yeasts you use for your real ale?
They're all a bit under threat at the moment. Low attenuating yeasts are somewhat unfashionable with the "craft beer" brigade.

Dried yeasts I will often use S-33, but I understand "Windsor" is very alike.

Wet yeasts include the old Whitbread strain like allegedly in WY-1099, and its many "offspring" like Ringwood, Thames Valley II (?), Bedford (Wibblers) (?), and the like. Generally attenuate in the 60s, and low 70s. "West Yorkshire" is perhaps another. "Maltotriose", and other dextrin, adverse. Trouble with many "American" (and others worldwide) yeast propagators is their source can be a bit uncertain and you are not really getting what's implied by the title.

The "diastaticus" variants are not what we want! But a dream for the "craft beer" crowd (high attenuating). Unfortunately more and more yeasts are becoming "infected" with this variation. But it shouldn't trouble us until well after we hang up our syphon tubes.

These strains are up against it at the moment. Like I saw a recent post on this forum proclaiming a disaster because their yeast (one mentioned above) left their beer "sickly sweet". Their description suggested the yeast was acting well within its specifications.

[EDIT: Not all UK "Real Ale" yeasts are low attenuating. "Boddingtons" was high attenuating (as if it counts!), as is customary in Manchester, and I've even come across suggestions "Boddingtons" was a "diastaticus" strain.]

Last edited:
Back