woodford wherry. Advice on sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all. Got 40 pints of w.w that has been in the fv for nearly 3 weeks at a constant 21c I want to bottle tomorrow morning once I have checked the gravity and it's down to about 1010. Trouble is I can't get to the lhbs and the sugar I have is muscovado, ordinary Tate n Llyle or caster. I do have honey too. which should I put in the bottles or batch for the best results and what quantity. I will be putting the ale in 1 pint bottles.
:cheers:
cib

Ordinary granulated is best- the quantities you are adding for bottling will not effect taste at all. Break out the Tate and Lyle!
I add into the bottling bucket and mix it there, then bottle- much easier than trying to do each bottle! 120g for 23litres works for me- bit less or bit more depending on how carbonated you like it.

Half a teaspoon or 3g a pint. Won't make a lot of difference which sugar you use and T&L is cheapest, so I go for that.

Makes 120g altogether for the batch, which is a bit more than for a keg and will give you a bit of carbonation, but not too fizzy.

Ok so I get up and start my brew day. was going to bottled it. Doh only 16 bottled caps. So I bottled 10 and barrelled 28ish/30. I used half teaspoon of T&l in bottles and 40g of T&L in barrel.[ think I may have overdone that :doh: ] The reason I bottled 10 is I washed sanitised 15 bottles and 5 bottles would not accept the caps. Swmbo's Rekordilic cider bottles no good.Peed off with that.
That will learn me to make sure I'm fully stocked up in future.

Tested gravity from trial jar 1018 so a good 4%. Tasted sweet and smooth. Don't know if that's the norm with Wherry? Kept at a constant 21c.

I batch prime and used 100g with my last Wherry but found it a bit fizzy so I'm just about to bottle another Wherry this morning and will use 80g. (I boil the sugar in 300ml of water and let it cool).

I shall be off to the pub this afternoon to clear his bottle bins out....

heard the magners bottles are the best ones to use, have a few wychwood but will probably bin those as heard they're not the best and I shall be using a youngs twin handled capper.

Barreled my werry about a fortnight ago and have tasted it on a regular basis it was lovely fresh not to heavy and lively at first after a period of about 10 days I brought it inside to come up to temp and the taste is out of this world completely changed from when it was in my shed the only down side is that when drawing a pint of I get a gklass full of head then I have to let it settle and end up with maybe 3/4 of a pint. I barreled the werry with 85 grams of T & L straight into the barrel as a mixture sugar and water the when it was all in I emptied a cartridge 8 gram CO2 into the barrel then cracked it after it had settled retightened and charged again with another cartridge. Am asking myself was that a wise thing to do not sure if this has given the brew an enthusiastic head just need a couple of flakes to put in the glass then I am away.

I always have that problem with brews I put in my king keg. I tend not to inject any co2 into it until it needs it usually about half way down the barrel. The 85g of T&L you put in is enough to carbonate the brew. It is a pain to draw a pint off and have to wait 10 minutes to go and top it up isn't it.

Evening Cask

Have persevered with the lively head I just pour 2 pints so I have one waiting and settling but it is one seriously good brew, now to try something a tad stronger thinking of doing a brown ale so I can have a mix with my bitter going back to my youth now used to love a brown and bitter. :drink:

rmason00 said:
Evening Cask

Have persevered with the lively head I just pour 2 pints so I have one waiting and settling but it is one seriously good brew, now to try something a tad stronger thinking of doing a brown ale so I can have a mix with my bitter going back to my youth now used to love a brown and bitter. :drink:

Iv done Northern brown by better brew twice now. You That was very nice. Would recommend.
:cheers:

Going back to the original question-Tate & Lyle would be OK for priming. Sugar derived from cane (T&L) is thought to be better than sugar derived from beet (Silver Spoon) for homebrew purposes. I'm sure someone more on the ball can explain why chemically.

Though I seem to recall that in large quantities the beet sugar can cause hangovers, but for priming it shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I use Billingtons golden caster for priming- a pleasant tasting organic sugar.

Latest posts

Back