wort boiling point?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed yesterday but broke my traditional thermometer and had to resort to a digital which I didn't calibrate before breaking the old one.
As a result I'm nervous about the accuracy of my brew day.

One thing I noticed (that I've never looked at before) was that the boiling point of my 1050 wort was about 110-112 c.

Does that sound right? Does anyone know about the effect of sugar on boiling points?

What temp does it measure ice water? If you're lucky it won't be a uniform 12degC out meaning you might have only mashed 5 or 6 degrees low. If you did manage to convert the mash, it'll certainly be on the dry side.

EXACTLY the same problem (and roughly the same temperature error) I had with mine!!!

It's caused by moisture in the probe. Doesn't look like you'll get yours apart to dry it though...

It's now reading room temp at about 18 c which is about right..
I don't have that probe in the pic. Mine has a long lead and a 1 inch metal probe on the end.

jonnymorris said:
What temp does it measure ice water? If you're lucky it won't be a uniform 12degC out meaning you might have only mashed 5 or 6 degrees low. If you did manage to convert the mash, it'll certainly be on the dry side.

I only got 70 % efficiency when I usually get 75%. When mashing my instincts felt it wasn't as hot as the probe said so I mashed at 67.5c just in case.

It's reading my body temp at 38 Should be 36 shouldn't it?

So is the only option to change the probe?

robsan77 said:
One thing I noticed (that I've never looked at before) was that the boiling point of my 1050 wort was about 110-112 c.

Does that sound right? Does anyone know about the effect of sugar on boiling points?
Sugar solution has a higher boiling point than water. When making caramel, toffee etc. you boil the sugar solution to evaporate water and use a thermometer to know when it has reached the right consistency. At 112C you are at the start of the soft ball stage for making fudge and fondant. Anyone for fudge beer?

Latest posts

Back