Wot, no fizz?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clydebrewer

Reaction score
Coopers Mexican Cerveza

1 can of Mexican Cerveza
1kg of Brew enhancer number 2
500g of light spraymalt
2 packs of Salflager S23

Pitched at 16°C stored in spare room, no heating 13/01/2016 around 14°C

OG 1049

Racked to secondary vessel @ 1011 SG on 02/02/2016 and placed in fridge at 4°C
Taste is sweet with a dry aftertaste but lacks a bit of flavour, hopefully lagering and secondary fermentation will bring out more flavour.

After 10 days in the fridge, bottled with carbonation drops given two weeks in warm.

Opened one of these tonight when transferring to the garage.
Slight fsss when the bottle was opened but no sparkle when poured.
Tastes fine.

Any ideas what's gone on?

I'm guessing that after a long chilling, there's not much yeast in the bottles to do the carbing up, and it will take a bit longer than 2 weeks - but I don't make lager, so am by no means an expert.

The PET bottle seemed pretty pressurised.
I've brought them back into the warm so I'll give them another couple of weeks and try again.

How many carbonation drops did you use in the bottles?
Don't use them myself so can't give much advice on the best amount for a lager.
I've got a few PET in the fridge that feel decided squidgy now that more co2 is in solution, but felt nice & firm before they went in the fridge - fear I've under carbed these.

I used two carb drops per bottle for the lager. I've used one or one and a half in Ale/ Stout so I thought the lager wpu!d take two.

I am going to guess that due to lagering process it will take longer to carb up.. you could bring some back in the warm for a while then chill..

Another few days in the warm and it's carbed up nicely.
Still a bit sweet for my liking but Mrs C should like it.
Is it now better in the fridge again or the shelf in the garage?

I'd put them in the fridge if you have room and are happy they've carbed up properly - although the garage might not be much warmer than the fridge at this time of year??

Latest posts

Back