Your thoughts.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As some will know i recently tried a few bottled beers having asked for suggestions from members (i used to be a lager drinker) i found of the ones i tried Punk IPA was the best (my tasted buds are not what they used to be so i guess it was the one that i could taste the most)

I mentioned i would not mind trying something else and today she turned up with one bottle of Robinsons Trooper Ale 500ml

8734_146.jpg

and two bottles of Abbot Ale 500ml (one is for my son)

1756_136.jpg

So as i am not opening them for a couple of hours could i ask your thoughts.

Oh dear, my lad said i wouldn't like the Trooper being a lager drinking wuss :-?

What in your view is wrong with the Abbot?

Would i be better drinking the Abbot first?

I remember drinking Abbot as a child at University. I thought it was quite sweet, heavy and strong then, by comparison with the other Greene King Beer IPA.

Not drunk it since about 1980, although I suspect I would regard it more highly now, with impaired taste buds.:thumb:

my thoughts are give them both a go with an open mind (and open mouth) and decide what you like... trooper is quite good though :lol:

Thanks Mike, i probably shouldn't admit this but i only chose it because of the label when i saw it on the bargain booze website. :lol:

Trooper-label.jpg

Not too fussed with Abbott, got quite an "earthy" taste that I'm not keen on. I recall having a really nice pint of trooper when out once but when I tried a bottle at home on another occasion it wasn't as nice for some reason

I don't mind Abbot.. haven't had it for a while but it seems pretty unoffensive to me although nothing special..If I was in Tesco buying the 4 for 5 quid or whatever I wouldn't grab it but I find it better than Green Kings other offerings.

That Trooper beer I had a couple of years ago and I swear it was Iron Maiden???

I think punk ipa will still beat these two new choices you have.

Maybe my taste buds are shot as i wouldn't say i liked them less than the Punk IPA.

One big plus is you get 130ml more per bottle.

I don't mind Abbot.. haven't had it for a while but it seems pretty unoffensive to me although nothing special..If I was in Tesco buying the 4 for 5 quid or whatever I wouldn't grab it but I find it better than Green Kings other offerings.

It's brewed by robiisons but was created with the lead singer of iron maiden iirc.

They're both pretty ordinary beers IMHO. Nothing wrong with them, but they don't elicit any enthusiasm from me, and life is too short to spend it drinking bland beer!

It is. "Designed" by Bruce Dickinson and brewed by Robinsons. It's a lovely beer.

Edit - beaten to the punch. Managed to not see page 2!

They're both pretty ordinary beers IMHO. Nothing wrong with them, but they don't elicit any enthusiasm from me, and life is too short to spend it drinking bland beer!

I think you are missing the point, i was not asking what you thought about these beers compared to better ones you have drunk i was asking what members thought i would think having recently moved on from lager.

My lad said i wouldn't like the Trooper because i would find it way too strong tasting but would prefer the Abbot, he was 50% right.

Try a Wychwood Hobgoblin. Not one of my favourites but when I saw this the slogan on the bottle came to mind - Afraid you might taste something Lagerboy.

Latest posts

Back