10 gallons 2 brews on the go tonight...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeBrew

Reaction score
Although I have plenty of beer brewed and ready for Xmas

A chance purchase of a large quantity of hopped liquid malt extract and thoughts of the new year... not just the 1st but the whole month... with my beer guzzlin lot of family and friends I could be in drought by mid January !

So had a major brew Evening...

Used 6.5 Kg of the 23 Kg of hopped malt extract I aquired with short boils, after mashing the speciality grains, as it's already hopped and just tail end of the boil hops added to freshen up the brew...

5 gallons of porter with chocolate malts and black malt plus fuggles hops ... predicted 4.5% ABV
+
5 gallons of bitter with crystal malt and a extra generous portion of pale malt extract and loads of east Kent goldings hops aimed at 5.1%

Are now in my fermentors... helped along with about 7 pints of various ales :-) and a few 'hot from the oven' sausage rolls to keep me sustained through this marathon brew :-)

Happy Christmas all and an even drunker New Year !

Thanks Steve and evanvine...

8 pints now ... it's chill time !

Just to add a bit of interest the porter I used a yeast cultured from a Thwaites Nutty Black dark mild bottle ... a first for me !

The bitter was Safalle S-04

Cheers All :D

Hi, sounds good - wish I could join you for the tasting !!!!
Just curious - where can you get bulk supplies of LME here in the UK?
I am aware that Brewferm styles are available in 23 kg lots from brouwland.com in Belgium.
Also, would it be feasible to split such a large quantity for smaller brews and how would you store it safe from contamination?
Cheers!

klaus said:
Hi, sounds good - wish I could join you for the tasting !!!!

Also, would it be feasible to split such a large quantity for smaller brews and how would you store it safe from contamination?
Cheers!

This one is Munton's 23Kg and came in a polypin plastic bag in a box type of packing so it collapses as you use it leaving no air in the bag...

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back