100l Brewery Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedburg101

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm moving house and finally getting a dedicated brewing space. No more brewing in the kitchen for me!

Given the space I have I'm keen to make the most of it, so I'm looking at building a 100l electric 3 vessel Herm system. I just don't know where to begin.

Things I've taken for granted now present themselves as problems I.e.

- what size elements will I need?
- will I be able to do this on mains or are three phase electricity outlets needed?
- will I need to increase the size of the pipes and fittings to say one inch?
- will standard pumps screw this up!

Any advice, suggestions on resources or good suppliers would be greater appreciated.

Sadly I can off no help at this stage however I will watch in anticipation as I too will be getting a much larger space (without moving) in the summer due to the in laws finally moving out (long story).

I'm planning a 100ltr kit build then too.

Good luck!

Sadly I can off no help at this stage however I will watch in anticipation as I too will be getting a much larger space (without moving) in the summer due to the in laws finally moving out (long story).

I'm planning a 100ltr kit build then too.

Good luck!

Or you could get one of these:

Works a treat, have been using it for a few years now, they are available from powell brewing.

Thanks, it is quoted at 100L but in reality I wouldn't want to brew much more than 80L in one go as the headroom is needed to combat boil over etc. The plus side is that the complete kit in comparison to the electric versions works out relatively cheap. Mine has easily paid for itself now :thumb:

If the boiler is well insulated 2 normal kettle elements will work fine, if not then 2 x 3Kw elements would be OK I don't think theres any need for a 6 & a 3 at that size, there is no need for 3 phase but its more efficient if you already have a 3 phase circuit there. Normal 15mm plumbing pipes are ideal but no idea on the pumps.

Back