2 row malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margowicz

Reaction score
Hi sorry for this it's probably something stupid but I have spent the night looking for 2 row place ale malt but cannot find it.

Question is this is there much difference between pale ale malt and 2 row pale ale malt?

Thanks in advance

Pale malt is typically made from 2 row barley. For instance marris otter is 2 row barley.

2 row is the type of barley, as opposed to 6 row and pale malt is how much it is kilned. So you can have 2 row pale ale malt or 2 row lager malt.

That’s my understanding anyway.

All European malt is produced from 2 row barley. In America both 2 row and 6 row barley is grown and used for beer, although 2 row is generally considered preferable for making beer.

The number refers to how the individual grains are arranged of the ear of barley, either 2 rows of grains on opposing sides of a central stalk, or 6 rows squashed into a star like pattern around the stalk. Because the grains are squashed, 6 row barley tends to have more cell wall material which reduces the percentage of starch available to be converted into sugars.

1589783066647.png

Hi sorry for this it's probably something stupid but I have spent the night looking for 2 row place ale malt but cannot find it.

Question is this is there much difference between pale ale malt and 2 row pale ale malt?

Thanks in advance
2 row is often found in US recipes, MaltMiller substitutes Crisp Extra Pale Larger Malt for 2 row. I just use pale ale or Maris otter.

All European malt is produced from 2 row barley. In America both 2 row and 6 row barley is grown and used for beer, although 2 row is generally considered preferable for making beer.

The number refers to how the individual grains are arranged of the ear of barley, either 2 rows of grains on opposing sides of a central stalk, or 6 rows squashed into a star like pattern around the stalk. Because the grains are squashed, 6 row barley tends to have more cell wall material which reduces the percentage of starch available to be converted into sugars.

View attachment 26167
Long ago revival, but this is 2 row, or two row, barley I picked on this evening's walk. As has been said, 6 or six row has.... 6 rows!
IMG_20210618_212539.jpg

Latest posts

Back