A long time coming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Galena,

I live just north of Worksop and would be happy to show you around my kit once the worse of the lockdown is eased. I have an all in one system from Brewtools as well as a couple of fermenters. I think the most cost effective stainless fermenter option is something like a SS Brewtech Brewbucket in a fridge bought from either gumtree or Facebook Marketplace controlled by an Inkbird controller. If you pick up a fridge and an Inkbird a plastic bucket works just as well to get you going. I think temp control has a major impact on the finished product so is worth thinking about. As other members have said Kviek yeast is generally fermented hot but also works at lower temps so is much less sensitive to temp control.
Thank you for the offer, I would be happy to travel over as you say, once the worst is over, it would be interesting to look over your system, the Brewtools looks great but rather pricey for now at least, still it would be good to see it. I will research the Inkbird as we may need a new fridge soon but the SS Brewbucket doe look good (I belive they do a temperature controlled option?)
Perhaps you could drop me a message when the time is right and you think a visit would be appropriate?

My advice to anyone starting homebrewing is to start simple to get the basics right first, then decide what you want to do. You can do this with a kit or two. It might not seem very glamorous, but you are quickly moving up the learning curve, and you will be brewing beer. And the basic equipment is the same however you brew. There's all sorts of ways for producing homebrewed beer, all manner of different systems to do it from ££s to £££s, and its best, in my view, to be able to select a set up from an informed position, rather than be picking from the many suggestions that will come your way, without any real undestanding of what they actually involve. And be aware that to produce an AG beer you will need to set aside about four hours or so.
And if you are serious buy a book. John Palmer's book is pretty good, and a free online copy is here
http://howtobrew.com/

Thank you for the offer, I would be happy to travel over as you say, once the worst is over, it would be interesting to look over your system, the Brewtools looks great but rather pricey for now at least, still it would be good to see it. I will research the Inkbird as we may need a new fridge soon but the SS Brewbucket doe look good (I belive they do a temperature controlled option?)
Perhaps you could drop me a message when the time is right and you think a visit would be appropriate?

I'll drop you a message in a couple of weeks, as terrym says its pretty easy to get going with either a kit or a simple stock pot and cooler, I guess its where most people start. for fermentation a fridge, bucket, and inkbird is a good setup. SS Brewtech do a temp controlled option but you still need a source of cooled water so the fridge works better for the brewbucket and you can literally retire your plastic bucket and switch to the brewbucket if you enjoy brewing, they both fit in a standard under counter fridge.

I enclose some pics and the trusty old plastic bucket

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 71
I'll drop you a message in a couple of weeks, as terrym says its pretty easy to get going with either a kit or a simple stock pot and cooler, I guess its where most people start. for fermentation a fridge, bucket, and inkbird is a good setup. SS Brewtech do a temp controlled option but you still need a source of cooled water so the fridge works better for the brewbucket and you can literally retire your plastic bucket and switch to the brewbucket if you enjoy brewing, they both fit in a standard under counter fridge.

I enclose some pics and the trusty old plastic bucket
The inkbird is not only good for temperature control during fermentation, I mainly use it during mashing. Such an improvement! Totally worth the purchase, if only for the ease of mind.

Some good ideas there, thanks I have also come across the Anvil Fermenter with cooling system which I thought may be worth looking at, has anyone any experience with this?
anv-cs-7.5_2.jpg

My advice to anyone starting homebrewing is to start simple to get the basics right first, then decide what you want to do. You can do this with a kit or two. It might not seem very glamorous, but you are quickly moving up the learning curve, and you will be brewing beer. And the basic equipment is the same however you brew. There's all sorts of ways for producing homebrewed beer, all manner of different systems to do it from ££s to £££s, and its best, in my view, to be able to select a set up from an informed position, rather than be picking from the many suggestions that will come your way, without any real undestanding of what they actually involve. And be aware that to produce an AG beer you will need to set aside about four hours or so.
And if you are serious buy a book. John Palmer's book is pretty good, and a free online copy is here
http://howtobrew.com/
Thanks, I missed your post earlier for some reason, your advice to start simple is good, I do tend to research rather a lot and beyond my initial needs and get attracted to the nearly pro systems before setting in to a reasonable setup for a novice but with enough knowledge to know where I may want to head. I do this with any subject not just brewing. Your advice is good and thanks for the link to the e-book I will have a read

Latest posts

Back