American ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
So looking for peoples best yeast recommendations for American style IPA safale u.s and west coast I've used but thinking theres more out there ?????

When you say “West Coast” do you mean MJ M44? If not it’s a good one - floccs better than US-05 but not quite as clean.

My favourite of the West Coast yeasts at the moment is Lallemand BRY-97. It’s clean like US-05 but floccs like M44. It’s my go to Yeast for APAs, WCIPAs and American Blonde ales now.

I've used CML Kolsch and Nottingham in AIPA's but you have to keep the temperature low. Notty will ferment at 15degC happily, not as clean as US-05, but pretty good and flocculates way better.

If you're able to get Imperial Organic Yeast, "Joystick" is great. Likewise, Wyeast 1450 is great for IPA (and excellent for malty and balanced dark ales). If you are sticking to dry yeast, I think US-05 and BRY-97 are truly the best options.

I think BRY97 (slow starter) or US05 are teh best options
M44 is okay
Nottingham is a 3rd but mutes the hops I but too much IMO.

Don't be tempted by CML US pale ale

I was just contemplating yeast for a Citra Pale Ale and was torn between M44 and US05. So I've settled on BRY97!

I've read that Mangrove Jack's Yeasts are just repackaged other brands' yeast strains from 11g sachets to 10g. If I recall correctly, the discussion that went on about that had determined M44 was BRY-97. The main point was that Mangrove Jack's doesn't manage any yeast laboratories, so their product couldn't be their own.

US-05 is the obvious go to - but you will get better results from the equivalent liquid yeasts WLP-001 / Wyeast-1056. The drying process has a detrimental effect on the yeast. Build a starter and do a couple of back to back brews and the cost is not much different and you don't have to mess with storing yeast samples long term (although this is another cool aspect to this hobby).

US-05 is the obvious go to - but you will get better results from the equivalent liquid yeasts WLP-001 / Wyeast-1056. The drying process has a detrimental effect on the yeast.

I used to believe this, and I think perhaps it used to be true. But today it just isn't true, based on my experience and that of many brewrs I know. Lallemand and Fermentis are putting out excellent products and I simply do not perceive any "detrimental effects" from using their yeasts. And you can repitch dry yeast slurry the same as liquid yeast slurry, to boot.

Latest posts

Back