Any Black Friday/Discount Codes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get very acceptable red wine from Aldi & Lidl. It's much better than the lower cost offerings from Waitrose & Sainsbury's (well we think so)
Aldi probably a bit better than Lidl.
New world wines are more consistent. We've tried too many rough french wines in our time, so now avoid them.

Straying slightly OT, but...
https://www.decanter.com/learn/tax-wine-much-pay-uk-ask-decanter-357119/...makes interesting reading on the cost of wine vs the tax/packaging/distribution. In summary in a £5 bottle, about 25p is the cost of the wine. On a £10 bottle it's £2.64 - so for twice the spend, ten times as much goes on what you drink. I expect it's skewed to "The Decanter" readership to justify spending more on a bottle, but the fact that duty is a fixed amount (£2.23 then, now £2.97 +VAT) per bottle, not a percentage lends some truth to it.
Anyhow, when you look at the breakdown it's not hard to see why a half-decent kit wine should indeed beat a £5 supermarket bottle hands-down.

You can get very acceptable red wine from Aldi & Lidl. It's much better than the lower cost offerings from Waitrose & Sainsbury's (well we think so)
Aldi probably a bit better than Lidl.
New world wines are more consistent. We've tried too many rough french wines in our time, so now avoid them.
I like both Aldi and Lidl wine great value for money. I don’t drink much red now couldn’t handle it so I by Sauvignon Blanc and White Rioja and it’s better from Aldi.

Went into lidl today. Needed walnuts and was passing. There were a lot of wine at £4.19 plus two bottles at £2.69 not sure exactly how strong it was but can't be that strong with the minimum unit price in Wales

From HMRC

Wine Duty
How much Wine Duty you pay depends on the strength of the wine (or made-wine) and whether it’s still or sparkling.

Strength (ABV) Rate per litre
Still More than 1.2%, up to 4% 91.68 pence
Still More than 4%, up to 5.5% 126.08 pence
Still More than 5.5%, up to 15% 297.57 pence
Still More than 15%, up to 22% 396.72 pence
Sparkling More than 5.5% but less than 8.5% 288.10 pence
Sparkling More than 8.5%, up to 15% 381.15 pence

So that must have been <5.5% alcohol.
And of course 20% VAT on top, so £3.57 tax per bottle on a normal strength wine.

Cheapest i could find in Aldi

Note it says "Scotland and Wales minimum unit price may affect your order"

wwwwwure.JPG

Personally no longer searching as I found my black Friday deal.

Managed to get 3 Winexpert classic kits for £25 each and 4 Winexpert Reserve kits for £35 each.

£470+ of kits for £210.. Don't think I'll get any better than that.

With these kits months past the best before they'll almost certainly need to be brewed quickly and with new yeast. Considering the yeast is nearly always the first thing to expire in kits.

A £15 discount on a kit 6 months past the BBE which usually retails for £76? by the time you replace the yeast you've saved £11 ish..

Dry yeast really isn't the first thing to expire, it's got a half-life of a decade or so. A year or two past the best-before date is nothing.

Going back on topic - The Malt Miller and Brew2Bottle have already been mentioned. There's also :
Black Friday at Brew UK - cheapest Grainfather G30 I've seen at £545
GEB - don't seem to be doing anything so far other than their usual few things at ON SPECIAL at GeterBrewed

Inkbird always do ~30% off on Black Friday, Prime Day etc at their Amazon store - although they've now diversified into a whole lot of other stuff, if you're looking for a "classic" temperature controller the one you want is the multi-step Wifi ITC-310T-B which is £10.80 off at £25.19 but only for Prime subscribers (@chopps ???).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back