Black pudding

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not getting embroiled in the which is best, but I do like the seasoning in these.
640x640.jpg

I'll have to give boiling a chance, based on the difference between slicing and frying haggis and boiling it. Hugely better boiled.

I dont boil it, but sometimes melt it in baked beans. Yum. Sounds awful but isn't.
I don't think I'd boil a British black pudding. I'd definitely gently poach a softer French boudin noir or Spanish morcilla, though. They fall apart if you try and slice and fry.

On the subject of white pudding, I recently stumbled a recipe from Peterhead for beef olives stuffed with white pudding. Excellent fare.

I once had a pork, black pudding, pancetta and ginger biscuit pie, from the Great North Pie Co. It was glorious.

Just had a couple of black puddings for lunch with a couple of galettes and a sliced beetroot. Wonderful stuff. You can't slice and fry the boudin noir here as the consistency is thinner than the English ones and they just go everywhere so best baked in the oven. Taste just as good though.

Mmmm... Black pudding.

When I visit the Scottish side of our family, I get to go to a chippy that does deep fried black (and also white) pudding. It's amazing.

But an English isn't an English without a slice or two.
Awful deep fried, it just soaks the grease up and I did used to have the occasional black pudding supper back in the day.

Last edited:
Stornoway blackpudding is the one to go for. If you're feeling adventurous, making your own burgers with some blackpudding crumbled through the mix is the ********.

Back