Bottle conditioning sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve started decanting from the primary fermenter to a clean bucket, getting as close as I dare to the sediment and then bottling from there. I still get sediment in the bottles but nowhere near as I do from bottling straight from the primary fermenter.
I'll second that. I've only done 15 brews and I have noticed less sediment in almost each successive brew while still being well carbonated. Improving your transfer & bottling techniques with practice will minimize it but there will always be some.

If you bottle condition then some yeast sediment is unavoidable because you are seeding a ferment in the bottle.

If you really don't want any you have force carb and bottle from keg.

And if I serve to someone cloudy homebrew beer or wine I call it "naturally cloudy" which is generally well received.
I do exactly the same. I tell people to pour slowly and leave the sediment in the bottle, but my Dad says it doesn't bother him and he just upends the bottle to get all the delicious beer into his glass.

What surprised me in Germany is that for wheat beer some connoisseurs make sure they get everything out the bottle, shaking it up in the process.
I don't know if they still do it, but Hoegaarden bottles used to have instructions on how to pour. Step 1, pour most of the beer into the glass. Step 2, swirl the bottle to agitate all the sediment, then pour into the glass.

Reason being it's healthy ...
I don't know about it's health benefits, but it makes me fart

Well I drink the lot ... don't mind the sediment! I notice there's now "cloudy" IPA for sale in shops, and pricey at that. And if I serve to someone cloudy homebrew beer or wine I call it "naturally cloudy" which is generally well received. As consumers we are used to 100% crystal clears beers - which are produced by industrial methods.

What surprised me in Germany is that for wheat beer some connoisseurs make sure they get everything out the bottle, shaking it up in the process. Reason being it's healthy ...
I was always led to believe that drinking the sediment would get you even drunker than normal and would give you a bad belly. Never thought to test that theory though

I was always led to believe that drinking the sediment would get you even drunker than normal and would give you a bad belly. Never thought to test that theory though
Can't remember a bad belly after homebrew beer, only hangovers if I had too much - when I was younger.... these days I limit myself to two bottles a week (except for Christmas).

I'll second that. I've only done 15 brews and I have noticed less sediment in almost each successive brew while still being well carbonated. Improving your transfer & bottling techniques with practice will minimize it but there will always be some.
My last 2 brews (latest being an imperial stout) don’t seem to be secondary fermenting in the bottles. Is there a chance that my decanting is leaving too much fermentables behind?

Bottle conditioning a high ABV beer can take ages. Are your bottles warm enough?

Bottle conditioning a high ABV beer can take ages. Are your bottles warm enough?
I put them inside a bucket, on a heat pad for a couple of weeks before moving them to the cellar. Maybe I should keep them for longer on the heat pad. I’ve still got a stout from Dec 21, which has been in the warm for an entire year with no signs of secondary fermentation at all. Reckon that one is never going to do anything and I’ll have to drink it flat

My last 2 brews (latest being an imperial stout) don’t seem to be secondary fermenting in the bottles. Is there a chance that my decanting is leaving too much fermentables behind?
Mine always carb up. some slower than others but I put that down to the flocculation of the yeast. From everything I've read, there will always be some in suspension for carbonation and it's just a matter of time. 14 months doesn't sound right though.

Latest posts

Back