Bottled beer cure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfapat

Reaction score
I have been bottling my Beer kits for some time now using a carbonation drip to the finished article . Problem is a lot of the product on opening is over foaming out of the bottle .question is why ?
Is there too much sediment or too much sugar(usually under level required) ?
Re commended drops are being dropped into bottle , 500ml. . Usually ipa type hops and all fermentation taken to inactive levels of SG .
Any thoughts , please.

The main reasons why you'd be getting over-carbonated bottled beer are:

1. Too much sugar - presumably not an issue if you are using the correct carbonation drops.

2. Incomplete fermentation - although your final gravity readings are static are they actually at the expected number?

3. Dirty bottles - yeast from a previous beer, wild yeast or bacteria may be present that are fermenting some of the residual sugars that your primary yeast can't ferment.

4. Hop creep - only mentioned because you specifically mention IPAs so may have high dry hopping rates. It's possible the enzymes present in hops are breaking down the unfermentable long chain sugars into fermentable short chain sugars.

In all cases these would then result in a greater amount of fermentation activity in the bottle and thus more carbonation.

Last edited:
The main reasons why you'd be getting over-carbonated bottled beer are:

1. Too much sugar - presumably not an issue if you are using the correct carbonation drops.

2. Incomplete fermentation - although your final gravity readings are static are they actually at the expected number?

3. Dirty bottles - yeast from a previous beer, wild yeast or bacteria may be present that are fermenting some of the residual sugars that your primary yeast can't ferment.

4. Hop creep - only mentioned because you specifically mention IPAs so may have high hopping rates. It's possible the enzymes present in hops are breaking down the unfermentable long chain sugars into fermentable short chain sugars.

In all cases these would then result in a greater amount of fermentation activity in the bottle and thus more carbonation.
This is possibly the cause . All bottles are sterilised and thouraghly cleaned . final gravity is always pretty much to values recommended.
So what is the solution , I have tried putting the hops in a Muslin bag , to stop hop trails of particles moving into the bottles.
Not all bad , but annoying when you have lost half the bottle down the sink !

This is possibly the cause . All bottles are sterilised and thouraghly cleaned . final gravity is always pretty much to values recommended.
So what is the solution , I have tried putting the hops in a Muslin bag , to stop hop trails of particles moving into the bottles.
Not all bad , but annoying when you have lost half the bottle down the sink !

https://beerandbrewing.com/the-causes-and-effects-hop-creep-and-how-to-prevent-it/
That is a useful read on the subject.

I dry hop after fermentation is complete at 12degC and have never knowingly experienced issues with hop creep using this process. However, I predominantly keg my beers so they stay cool, which would also reduce the likelihood of hop creep occuring.

If I have a batch that are too lively I chill them really cold and it helps prevent too much spillage.

I'm not sure if it's the sediment in the bottom that causes an eruption, or if the eruption just throws up the sediment

If I have a batch that are too lively I chill them really cold and it helps prevent too much spillage.

I'm not sure if it's the sediment in the bottom that causes an eruption, or if the eruption just throws up the sediment
Yeah tried that , Thanks . It does help a little .

If you use plastic PET bottles and your brew is overcharged, it's a simple job just to release some of the gas and tighten caps before the beer starts to gush out. You might need to repeat this more than once but it will fix it. As you can see from previous threads, overcarbonation can develop for a variety of reasons.

If you use plastic PET bottles and your brew is overcharged, it's a simple job just to release some of the gas and tighten caps before the beer starts to gush out. You might need to repeat this more than once but it will fix it. As you can see from previous threads, overcarbonation can develop for a variety of reasons.
Sorry, should read 'overcarbed'. Autocorrect be gone!

Pez candy gun, 'dispense' one round into each bottle. Show it who's boss.
ezgif-2-8f3adb4e22 (1).gif

Last edited:
The eruption throws up the sediment

The main cause is overcarbonation. The excess CO2 will try to come out of solution when you open the cap and there is a sudden drop in pressure inside the bottle.
The sediment forms lots is nucleation sites that allow lots of CO2 bubbles to form on the sediment. Because it's over carved, loads of bubbles form really quickly and drag the sediment up as they rise, creating the eruption.

Reducing the sediment will give you a smaller eruption, but it'll still be over carbed and even if you got rid of all the sediment and it didn't erupt, you'd get a huge head when you poured it into the glass.

If you have a "normally" carbonated beer with a lot of sediment, you won't get an eruption.

OK , I get that , so when I get a carbonation drop asI do and I am using a 500ml bottle usually , I should halve the amount is what your saying . Drops are calculated for 370ml roughly.
I try and lessen sediment by putting the hops in a muslin bag.

Eruption doesnt always throw up the sediment , it finding a glass that takes all the 500ml bottle in a oner

OK , I get that , so when I get a carbonation drop asI do and I am using a 500ml bottle usually , I should halve the amount is what your saying . Drops are calculated for 370ml roughly.
I try and lessen sediment by putting the hops in a muslin bag.

Eruption doesnt always throw up the sediment , it finding a glass that takes all the 500ml bottle in a oner
I rack to a 2nd fermenter, leave for a few days and then rack again to a bottling bucket. Weigh out the sugar and disolve into a jug with a "sample the brew" and then mix. I have used cooled water that has been boiled to disolve the sugar faster.

Reduces most of the sediment.

When you say racking, do you refer to syhoning , (need another bucket)! I can try that, how much sugar generally kg to litres. Dextrose?

Latest posts

Back