Brew Con World Series V

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually now you’ve mentioned it, that might not be too far from the truth! I only got one score sheet (my witbier had 2 sheets) and my judge was the organiser.
No I honestly doubt that is true (the organiser retrospectively doing score sheets)...I've heard reports that the organiser was judging beers on his own at the event to help get them all done. I had just one sheet for one of my beers and that feedback was provided in the first batch.

Actually now you’ve mentioned it, that might not be too far from the truth! I only got one score sheet (my witbier had 2 sheets) and my judge was the organiser.

I also don’t recognise any of the feedback as my beer (although I don’t necessarily disagree with the score). As well as being told it had very good clarity when every pint of it I drank was cloudy, I took it to brew club and nobody there picked up on the off flavours he mentions (particularly sulphur).
I avoid comps where there are not three judges, at least recognised. You can contact the judges to question them about their findings they should have contact email on the score sheet. When there are laymen involved unless they are pro brewers you are wasting your time. I was told a Golden ale should have more American hop character FFS. This was by a layman dragged in to judge the comp.

At least on the face of it BrewCon make a big deal out of their role as a "nursery" for BJCP qualification. How that translates into reality I don't know, but having the organiser judge on his own rather than bring in some randoms to judge would actually support the idea that they're trying to only get BJCP-qualified judging even if that means things break down a bit in other regards.

At least on the face of it BrewCon make a big deal out of their role as a "nursery" for BJCP qualification. How that translates into reality I don't know, but having the organiser judge on his own rather than bring in some randoms to judge would actually support the idea that they're trying to only get BJCP-qualified judging even if that means things break down a bit in other regards.
I dont think they do (act as a role as a nursery for BJCP qualification). BrewCon might say that they will always have at least one BJCP judge in any judging pair but that is no different to other comps.

However...pretty much all of the judge training and exam organisation is done by LAB or other groups and this has happened long before BrewCon came along. It takes a lot more than a couple of judging sessions at BrewCon to prepare for BCJP qualification. Others do far more in this regard to get judges trained up.

Looks like scores for American IPAs have finally been uploaded (no feedback sheets yet though).

After such a long wait I got a pleasant surprise as I scored 37, which is the highest of the three beers I sent in despite it being the one for which I had the lowest expectations.
Still no score for me. Although I sent a bottle of the same beer to someone and it arrived oxidised so I don’t have high hopes.

Still no score for me. Although I sent a bottle of the same beer to someone and it arrived oxidised so I don’t have high hopes.
I'm very interested to see the comments as I had exactly the same issue with the beer I sent off for the monthly forum comp that was on at the same time. I also wasn't particularly happy with the clarity or hop flavours - to my taste I felt I had picked up some astringency.

Looks like scores for American IPAs have finally been uploaded (no feedback sheets yet though).

After such a long wait I got a pleasant surprise as I scored 37, which is the highest of the three beers I sent in despite it being the one for which I had the lowest expectations.
No scores for me yet. Wondering if they ever judged them!

Strange that I seem to be the only one that has had a score for that table - hopefully it's just a case of it being done in waves rather than anything more sinister. I have been quite vocal on their social media pages about the slow turnaround / constant lying about when results would be posted so I hope it's not just an attempt to shut me up... :confused:

Back