Brew In A Basket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatsy

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of brewing in a basket. This is similar to the following...

https://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/products/brew-in-a-basket?variant=22941717955

I'm going to make the step up to all grain next year and think the BIAB method is best for my circumstances. I think the basket looks like a good idea because, to my untrained eye, it will take the problem of burning the bag on the element out of the equation and have a lot of longevity compared to a bag. I was looking to see if there are any pros or cons that I have missed?

what are you going to use? a 50L pot and mash in full volume? it looks good option not sure if it would make a difference for any grain catching though and hopefully durable, however the bag catching thing is something I have certainly not experienced.. If I mash into my big pot the pot fills and normally maintains heat pretty well.. but in the event I top up some heat I put my burner back on and stir the grain and its always fine.. I have a hop filer though which probably lifts it though.

One thing that may or may not be a consideration is lifting that basket with 5kg of wet grain which will be more like 10KG.. it may be a little awkward and bear in mind its not lifting 10Kg close to your chest, you're lifting that weight protracted away from your body. A lot of people that isn't a problem, but if you suffer from a bad back or anything it is something to consider.

Thanks guys.

Covrich - Yeah lifting the bag was something that I gave consideration. In James Morton's book 'Brew', he recommended using a step ladder as a pulley system. I wouldn't expect to have trouble with the weight but, the awkwardness of the basket may be different in practice. Be interested in seeing where you got the bag if you have any info?

what are you going to use? a 50L pot and mash in full volume? it looks good option not sure if it would make a difference for any grain catching though and hopefully durable, however the bag catching thing is something I have certainly not experienced.. If I mash into my big pot the pot fills and normally maintains heat pretty well.. but in the event I top up some heat I put my burner back on and stir the grain and its always fine.. I have a hop filer though which probably lifts it though.

One thing that may or may not be a consideration is lifting that basket with 5kg of wet grain which will be more like 10KG.. it may be a little awkward and bear in mind its not lifting 10Kg close to your chest, you're lifting that weight protracted away from your body. A lot of people that isn't a problem, but if you suffer from a bad back or anything it is something to consider.

I've currently got a 30l buffalo boiler which I was going to alter to thermal cut-out before going to AG. If I wasn't going to do that, I was planning on getting a 20l stock pot to try AG in smaller batches before seeing how I get on with it.

I hope them stainless steel baskets are okay for brewing. I'm waiting for mine to turn up any day now (got one cheap from eBay directly from China - hope it survives the journey).

But I'm approaching "BIAB" from a different angle - so I can "downsize" for experimental and low alcohol brewing 'cos my 45-70L brewery is a bit unwieldy for smaller batches. I want to mash in my boiler too, but can employ the HERMS setup for heating so haven't got the concerns of catching the element.

I hope them stainless steel baskets are okay for brewing. I'm waiting for mine to turn up any day now (got one cheap from eBay directly from China - hope it survives the journey).

But I'm approaching "BIAB" from a different angle - so I can "downsize" for experimental and low alcohol brewing 'cos my 45-70L brewery is a bit unwieldy for smaller batches. I want to mash in my boiler too, but can employ the HERMS setup for heating so haven't got the concerns of catching the element.

that's above my knowledge lol. Had to google HERMS.

I've been using a RIMS/BIAB setup, using a cheap bag and a false bottom, with no bother. Was even better with 200g of rice hulls in there. athumb..

that's above my knowledge lol. Had to google HERMS.
HERMS a new one on you? "AdeDunn" has dropped RIMS on you now. And my HERMS doesn't comply with the stuff you've Googled which is why I can switch it to the boiler from the mash-tun at a whim. But don't get distracted, HERMS and RIMS is for incurable tinkerers.

"Alside101" has linked one of those Chinese made baskets now. You might want to look me up in a week or so to report what sort of condition they arrive in before grabbing at one yourself? Note they come with little hangers so you can park them on the rim of the boiler to drain (with the help of a suitable bar or rod); you see this a lot with Chinese stuff - some Western company gets them to build 1000 of something with lots of "features" peculiar to their design, but they make 2000 and next minute they appear all over eBay complete with some very odd looking features that you have no idea what they're there for.

... Had to google HERMS.
Basket arrived!

On its own, the hop basket I ordered should turn up separately. Didn't arrive from China, they obviously have a clearing house here in the UK.

So in good condition? Err...

20180825_124352_WEB.jpg

(EDIT: I've just noticed: No hangers for draining like in the eBay pictures.)

Last edited:
Back