Brewing Apps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprocker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an all grain virgin I'm looking at planning/recipe/notes apps. Ideally something that is as easy to use as possible. I'll be using Brewzilla Gen 4.
The two main ones seem to be Brewfather and Beersmith.
Is there anything else worth considering?

I’m also a relative newbie..
I have used Brewfather and found I needed to adjust a little as I went. You need to know (or estimate) such things as boil off volume and fermentor trub loss.. I found I could only really estimate these once I’d done a couple of brews.

It meant that my gravity readings seemed off to start with. Having adjusted once I made estimates of the above they’re now broadly in line.

From my wxperience it means you might need to do a few brews before you can use the app to build a recipe and accurately predict your outcomes…

Be interested to hear how you get on and if I’m over- complicating!!

I’m also a relative newbie..
I have used Brewfather and found I needed to adjust a little as I went. You need to know (or estimate) such things as boil off volume and fermentor trub loss.. I found I could only really estimate these once I’d done a couple of brews.

It meant that my gravity readings seemed off to start with. Having adjusted once I made estimates of the above they’re now broadly in line.

From my wxperience it means you might need to do a few brews before you can use the app to build a recipe and accurately predict your outcomes…

Be interested to hear how you get on and if I’m over- complicating!!
This is true for Beersmith, and I expect, most other apps.
In Beersmith as well as configuring your equipment profile to account for losses you can set your efficiency.
Beersmith has some equipment profiles already built in and you can download more, or start your own from scratch.

It does take a few brews to tune it. Yesterday my OG was one point away from what Beersmith predicted, I was happy with that.

I've been using Beersmith for years. The UI doesn't bother me.
Do you know of a comparison between the features of the two?

I've not come across one. FWIW I think Beersmith is excellent. I just found using it on the phone a chore, and the UI is outdated. I used it for quite a few years before Brewfather came along.

Last edited:
I've not come across one. FWIW I think Beersmith is excellent. I just found using it on the phone a chore, and the UI is outdated. I used it for quite a few years before Brewfsther came along.
I certainly agree with you about using it on the phone. The only time I use it on the phone is when showing recipes to people at homebrew club.

I design the recipes on a PC and then print them for brew day, writing notes in pencil, then updating Beersmith on the PC later.

I also tend to only use Beersmith on my laptop to create recipes and fiddle with water adjustment etc on brewdayd. I pdf the brewsteps and attach it to my brew day notes that I take on my e-ink notebook. My main wish is that I can import data from iSpindel into BeerSmith

As an all grain virgin I'm looking at planning/recipe/notes apps. Ideally something that is as easy to use as possible. I'll be using Brewzilla Gen 4.
The two main ones seem to be Brewfather and Beersmith.
Is there anything else worth considering?
beerriff brewer uses beersmith - super beers

I use the free version of brewtarget. - very agreeable beers

I will admit I don't use it much thesedays only to try out theoretical recipes. I pretty much know what I'm going to get based on my ingredients thesedays, I don't brew to style so software is a bit less needed for me as I can work my recipes out in my head.

Beersmith. Brad is very responsive to questions and the forum is very helpful. I use it on an old laptop though several fellow club members use web version on tablets or phones.

there’s definitely a “warm up” period to dial in equipment, even minor changes..

Beersmith. Brad is very responsive to questions and the forum is very helpful. I use it on an old laptop though several fellow club members use web version on tablets or phones.

there’s definitely a “warm up” period to dial in equipment, even minor changes..
As well as the forum Brad has done a lot of videos showing how to use it

Back