Brewzilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a 23L batch of bitter and the total water is 33.98L,
I use Brewers friend. For my London Bitter on the Brewzilla with 4.75kg grist I used 20l mash water and 11.1l sparge. If you have more grist that it doesn’t seem too far out.
Remember to tell BF you are using the Brewzilla. There’s about 6 odd litres of dead space under the malt pipe that needs to be accounted for in the mash water calculation.

Thank you Anna for the tips, this is all new to me but i am a quick learner, the klarstein is now demoted to sparge water duties, once i have mastered it i will send you a sample to try acheers.

I use Brewers friend. For my London Bitter on the Brewzilla with 4.75kg grist I used 20l mash water and 11.1l sparge. If you have more grist that it doesn’t seem too far out.
Remember to tell BF you are using the Brewzilla. There’s about 6 odd litres of dead space under the malt pipe that needs to be accounted for in the mash water calculation.
Cheers i have set my equipment profile to the brewzilla 35L and you are right about the dead space, this is a big step up from my biab brewing so it's onwards and upwards acheers.

Just thought of a couple of other points, I am usually trying to get 25L in the FV and to achieve that with the large dead space and gunk that ends up blocking the drain off, typically I sparge right to the top marker I can't recall what that mark is, but boil off with the 1 larger elemt on is about 3L per hour, also it takes just about bang on 40 mins to go from mash temps to boiling with both elements on.
So if your using the step timer as I do and you want a 90 minute boil, add another 40 mins to that step as unlike the Klarstein it counts down straight away, not when it gets up to temperature.
Also I went from Klarstein to Brewzilla and the smaller diameter malt pipe makes boil overs and foam as it approaches the boil catch you out much more quickly, I keep a bowl and a sieve handy to scoop it off the top

Just thought of a couple of other points, I am usually trying to get 25L in the FV and to achieve that with the large dead space and gunk that ends up blocking the drain off, typically I sparge right to the top marker I can't recall what that mark is, but boil off with the 1 larger elemt on is about 3L per hour, also it takes just about bang on 40 mins to go from mash temps to boiling with both elements on.
So if your using the step timer as I do and you want a 90 minute boil, add another 40 mins to that step as unlike the Klarstein it counts down straight away, not when it gets up to temperature.
Also I went from Klarstein to Brewzilla and the smaller diameter malt pipe makes boil overs and foam as it approaches the boil catch you out much more quickly, I keep a bowl and a sieve handy to scoop it off the top
Hi Griff097, i never had a boil over on the fullhorn, i used to keep a pan handy and if it got close i would open the tap and drop a couple of litre's then add it back after the hot break

Never even thought of opening the tap at boil over. Much easier than using a sieve. Doesn't happen often but that's a much more elegant solution.
Cheers...

Hi Griff097, i never had a boil over on the fullhorn, i used to keep a pan handy and if it got close i would open the tap and drop a couple of litre's then add it back after the hot break
I thought the hot break served no purpose and scooping the proteins out cleaned up the wort, as they end up sinking to the bottom in the trub?

Actually on that. Something to watch is power consumption. I discovered that with the kettle on full, my sparge urn heating, and the washing machine running, the circuit breaker would trip... :D

Have since staggered my urn heat up and banished any laundry operation while brewing...

@Jim Goer I bet this is what happened to us!

I am livid just found this at the back of the door 3 people in and and dog no one heard the knock
ECF64A31-CC3D-48D1-AF24-E16C6D91AF98.jpeg

And I had a conversation with a robot, I asked are you a robot reply although I am not human I am very well trained 😂😂😂 no wonder the country is in the state it’s in think I need a beer 😂😂😂😂😂

Just ordered a 35L brewzilla from angel home brew, any tips advice most welcome, the first brew will be a bitter athumb..

The thread in the bottom screen is 1/4 BSP. I found removing the overflow pipe and plugging that with a blank allowed me to stir better and vastly improved my efficiency and sparge.

I found the overflow pipe a real pain and unnecessary for full capacity brews, which is all I do in it.

iv adapted a grainfather counterflow chiller to work with mine way better than the immersion one that comes with it, but that one comes in handy for pre cooling tap water in a bucket of ice before it hits the counter flow, all looks abit breaking bad but i love it, great bit o kit.

Back