Bulldog grain mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a box to bolt my mill to. Takes the full 5-6kgs of grain
I usually mill.

View attachment 16480
Putting a bag inside to hold the grain helps avoid most of the dust.
When the grain’s been milled I can turn upside down for storing.

View attachment 16481

Works well with my battery Makita drill, but it’s only a single roller, so that might be the difference.
If I was buying a mill now I’d definitely pay the extra for a two roller version.
Mungri. Why don’t you just put some flowers in it and leave it in the window, that would save you finding somewhere to store it.
Brian

Mungri. Why don’t you just put some flowers in it and leave it in the window, that would save you finding somewhere to store it.
Brian
Not a bad idea. That might keep swmbo happy as well.
With my record of growing things though (or not growing things more like), maybe not.

After reading this thread - what a faff!
I would have said so too but last brew I did I thought I'd try my electric drill on my Corona knock-off grinder - what a doddle! A full hopper took literally seconds compared to about 200 turns of the handle doing it manually. I know what I'll be doing in future.

After reading this thread - what a faff!
The experience I had for my 2nd brew was infinitely better than the first time.

Lots of people have a disappointing first time but enjoy it more when they do it again!

I would have said so too but last brew I did I thought I'd try my electric drill on my Corona knock-off grinder - what a doddle! A full hopper took literally seconds compared to about 200 turns of the handle doing it manually. I know what I'll be doing in future.

By the sounds of it having a drill (and the one with the correct torque) seems to be the key to milling your own grain. I buy crushed base malt and mill my own specialty malts with a carona knock off

By the sounds of it having a drill (and the one with the correct torque) seems to be the key to milling your own grain. I buy crushed base malt and mill my own specialty malts with a carona knock off
While I'm doing the opposite!
Yes, about the drill - a cheapo DIY drill is probably way too fast and gutless. Years ago I bought a Bosch `profesional' type drill which hurt financially at the time but was a good investment in the long term. You need a good strong wrist to fight the torque when grinding - acheived from years of lifting 20 oz weights...

To control the speed of a drill use a cable tie over the trigger and slowly tighten to required speed, to stop it simply remove the battery. I use this for milling and whirl-pooling

To control the speed of a drill use a cable tie over the trigger and slowly tighten to required speed, to stop it simply remove the battery. I use this for milling and whirl-pooling
Hi!
My problem is that my drill won't turn the mill at low speed - not enough torque!
I have an 18W battery drill and a corded drill, neither of which have enough "grunt" to turn the mill.

Hi!
My problem is that my drill won't turn the mill at low speed - not enough torque!
I have an 18W battery drill and a corded drill, neither of which have enough "grunt" to turn the mill.

My drill is a 18v Ryobi and handles it easily, sounds like something is desperately wrong with the mill setup, does it turn easily without any grain and what gap are you using, I use an old credit card for the gap then test a few grains and finely adjust to ensure its enough to crack open the grain. Also I condition the grain before crush

My drill is a 18v Ryobi and handles it easily, sounds like something is desperately wrong with the mill setup, does it turn easily without any grain and what gap are you using, I use an old credit card for the gap then test a few grains and finely adjust to ensure its enough to crack open the grain. Also I condition the grain before crush
Hi!
I also condition the grain and the gap is set by a credit card. I have no problem with the crush as far as efficiency goes.
My corded drill turns the mill, but much too fast. The vibrations are horrendous,
If I attempt to reduce the speed the mill stops turning.

I use a DeWalt 18v cordless drill with my mill, although it does have a gearbox speed selector, so setting it at the slower, higher torque setting works, although I still have to throttle back the speed a bit else it goes too quick.

I have the Bulldog, and turn it by hand. Take a bit longer, but it definitely works and I'm not sure using a high-speed, low-torque drill on a mill is good for either mill or drill. I mill outside, which solves the dust problem athumb..

I don't have a Bulldog mill, but it looks very similar to the 2 roller mill from Malt Miller that I have. I'm surprised a battery drill won't turn it? As for controlling the dust..... I attached mine to the lid of an old fermenter with a piece of MDF to stiffen up the lid. When its milling I get no dust at all.
2-C421421-22-CD-42-E1-8-F77-ECB93-B581-B3-F.jpg

Where abouts did you get your mill from?

Ahh yes, the old credit card trick.

Is it the embossed or the un-embossed part of the card you use to gauge, please?

Latest posts

Back