Carbonation Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I am about to keg my Neck Oil Clone brew, maybe tomorrow i reckon as I’m almost at the required FG of 1.009. It’s actiually sat at 1.009 this morning so I’ve removed all heat and insulation and will check again tomorrow and if it’s still at 1.009 it’ll be going into the keg. (Corny)

My question is: Should i prime the keg as you would for bottling? Or just transfer the beer as is and carbonate with C02? I normally do the latter as I’ve never primed any keg beer before, but was curious as to what others do and are there any benefits to priming?

It's purely down to preference. I force carbonate mine with CO2 just as I find it easier.
I dont know if priming results in more sediment in keg, but I imagine it does. Could be wrong though.

It's purely down to preference. I force carbonate mine with CO2 just as I find it easier.
I dont know if priming results in more sediment in keg, but I imagine it does. Could be wrong though.
I reckon, and I’m guessing, it might also kick off a secondary fermentation in the keg?

In
It’s going to have some carbonation already as it was fermented under 6psi in the Fermzilla so i guess that would have carbonated to a degree?
In that case definitely carbonate with Co2. You will not be able to know the absorbed carbon dioxide in the beer to calculate how much sugar l to add. It would also produce some additional sediment.

Latest posts

Back