Changing kit style

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huwb

Reaction score
I have a kilner lager kit i picked up for a fiver. Im not really looking for a lager out of it i only picked it up cos it was cheap. I was thinking if i chucked in a hop tea swapped out the yeast and dry hopped would it be possible to turn it into a blonde/pale ale type beer. I have handy a notty yeast or us05 aswell as 100gms of cascade pellets. Any one think this is worth a shot ?
Upto now my plan was use the 3kgs of malt extract from the kit, 30gms of pellets for a hop tea, use us05 for ferementation, then chuck in 70gms as a dry hop after say 7 days.

Absolutely a larger or lighter blander kit can be used as a base for anything

If you're going for a hoppy pale I would use US05 myself like you suggest as it lends itself more to cleaner hoppier flavours.. Notty is fine but for pale hoppy ales I think it mutes the hop flavour a little making it a touch blander.

Cheers man youve reassured what i was thinking really that use Us05 to promote the cascade flavour which will hopefully be imparted by adding the tea and dry hop.

My best beer yet was a strong black IPA in which I used a Coopers Lager with BIAB and lots of American hops. I managed to pick up another Coopers Lager and a Coopers European Lager for cheap, so I'll be doing another BIPA soon with the Lager, mixing up the hops a bit. The European Lager I mixed with the run-offs of a second sparge from the BrewDog Dogma recipe (a Scottish strong ale), so what would be make up the small beer in a parti-gyle, to make something along the lines of a strong dunkel. It is still in the fv now, but tastes good. So yeah, Covrich is spot on, you can get great results changing style of a bland kit, and your plan sounds great and will almost certainly produce something far better than using the kit on its own.

My best beer yet was a strong black IPA in which I used a Coopers Lager with BIAB and lots of American hops. I managed to pick up another Coopers Lager and a Coopers European Lager for cheap, so I'll be doing another BIPA soon with the Lager, mixing up the hops a bit. The European Lager I mixed with the run-offs of a second sparge from the BrewDog Dogma recipe (a Scottish strong ale), so what would be make up the small beer in a parti-gyle, to make something along the lines of a strong dunkel. It is still in the fv now, but tastes good. So yeah, Covrich is spot on, you can get great results changing style of a bland kit, and your plan sounds great and will almost certainly produce something far better than using the kit on its own.

Deffo not interested in the kit as a lager thats why i want to change it up a bit. Gonna wait till i come back from tenerife at the end of the month hopefully ambient temps will drop a little by then im gonna chuck it on and see what happens. Id say its probably gonna be drinkable however it turns out ;-)

I brewed this kit with wilko yeast and 50gram dry hop of citra for 7 days came out crackin even my father who has been a commercial brewer said it was good

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

its nice to see you don't have to follow the traditional recipes and try whatever region of of hops, malts and yeast that suit the brewer

I brewed this kit with wilko yeast and 50gram dry hop of citra for 7 days came out crackin even my father who has been a commercial brewer said it was good

Cheers for reply man, i remember u saying ud dry hoped it etc but couldnt find the post to see what ud said. This is going in the fv at when i get back from holidays, alongside another kit to get my two pressure barrels filled up :-)

No worries the wilko ale yeast fermented out in a week and then add your hops for a few days great £5 brew got 2 more to do

Latest posts

Back