Citra Mari(s)o Galaxy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPLMPL

Reaction score
In honour of our mustachioed plumber friend, this is something I planned to put on in the first week of January, it finally got brewed yesterday. It's a user-upper of the last of my barley DME (before the net curtains get used in anger) and remaining stock of citra and galaxy. Went for the same recipe as my fairly recent all galaxy brew (http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45956). All went smoothly, so I should end up with a nice easy-drinking 4.6% or thereabouts (SG was 1.043).

Citra Mari(s)o Galaxy

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 14.0
Total Grain (kg): 1.820
Total Hops (g): 80.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 6.7 (EBC): 13.2
Bitterness (IBU): 41.6 (Average)

Grain Bill
----------------
1.600 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (87.91%)
0.110 kg Caramalt (6.04%)
0.110 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (6.04%)

Hop Bill
----------------
5.0 g Citra Leaf (14.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
5.0 g Galaxy Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
7.0 g Citra Leaf (14.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
7.0 g Galaxy Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
14.0 g Citra Leaf (14.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1 g/L)
14.0 g Galaxy Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1 g/L)
14.0 g Citra Leaf (14.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)
14.0 g Galaxy Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
1/4 Protafloc @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05
Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Also, first time using Star San: no going back. Checked the pH of my one litre of water before adding 1.6 mL of Star San and I'd say about 7.0. After adding the concentrated Star San a healthy pH 2.0. A bit cloudy, but I can't see how this can affect its performance providing the pH is so low. Detergent combined with low pH will lyse any cells it comes into contact with. Presumably this is just calcium phosphate (Ca(H2PO4)2?)precipitating as at this pH any carbonate will exist as carbonic acid (H2CO3) and will out-gas as CO2, leaving the calcium to precipitate as the phosphate salt which I assume is not very soluble in water (phosphate salts tend to be fairly insoluble). That's my theory anyway.

:wha: how many days

tazuk said:
:wha: how many days

Not sure yet, so I didn't enter anything in Brewmate. I usually give it a week or so before adding dry hops. I won't have time to bottle this until it's been in the fv for at least 3 weeks, so I'll probably go for about a week before I bottle.

Bottling day yesterday. Big thanks to Santa for the bottle tree and sloosher, this combined with the newly acquired Star San meant bottling was a breeze.
Beer was in the primary for 3 weeks, dry hopped (in primary) with ~12 g Citra and 12g Galaxy (all I had left) for the final 6 days. After 3 weeks it is pretty clear going into the bottles. Primed with 70g of sugar for 2.2 volumes of CO2 (based on 14L). Final gravity 1.007 which comes in at 4.7%. The smell and taste of the trial jar sample was excellent. Two weeks at room temp now and then a few more in the cellar (11C).

Another success, been dipping into this one over the last couple of weeks. The US-05 has finally packed down, but a sideways glance is all it seems to need to be roused. I think I'll try MM's NBS West Coast and Mangrove Jack's West Coast for next couple of APAs.
I'd say the Galaxy hops are most prominent in this one, they certainly smelled the 'fresher' of the two used (both 2012 harvest stored in ziplock bags in the freezer, but the cirtra were opened in April 13, Galaxy October 13). That's not to say that the citra are not noticeable; however, I was expecting them to be more prominent. Still, a lovely drink.

Latest posts

Back