cooling fv

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambler

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've decided that my next batch of TC is going to be a still one.

My aim for this batch, is to bottle it crystal clear and mature(ish) so there is no sediment, and so I can transport, and drink it on the same day.

I use the waterbath + aquarium heater method for keeping temps stable during fermentation, and was wondering if there is a way to cool the water?

I tried cooling my last batch after fermentation by putting ice in the waterbath, and then rotating in ice cube bags, but it didnt work all that well.

I forget the temperature I was able to achive, I think it was around 12c. which is guess is better than nothing. Also ice isnt a reasonable solution as a 1kg bag of ice melts in about an hour ($$$), and then you gotta keep spyhoning out water as the level rises lol. ice cubes kept in the bags didnt work very well as again, they melted very quickly, and after 2x cycles, the bags were ruined and leaky.

If I have to go the ice method, I guess ill try ice blocks next. I'm not 100% sure they will fit though, as my fv is quite a close fit in my "flexi tub". and I'm still going to have the problem with the poor cooling performance. Maybe I should look at improving my insulation?

I've looked at electrical solutions. But even ignoring costs, I just dont think they are going to be the awnser. breifly considered exploring the peltier route, but its just a silly idea really...

Anyone got any tips?

IB4 wait until winter.

Mix in salt with your ice bath, sounds odd but it can lower the temp considerably. Ice cubes do a better job than ice blocks as they have a larger surface area.
If you don't want to use the ice bath method you could put it in the fridge. Somewhere outdoors that you know will be cold (garage as an e.g) is also a good option.

Latest posts

Back