Coopers extract beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
After only brewing now for a few months. And yes it has been extract brewing for those that don't know me. I have to say that having tried a few different brands.
Coopers do have something right with their brew kits. At first I thought it was me being a newbie but really after trying the more expensive extract kits, I am down with this and my bet is if I were a lager drinker I'd be equally as satisfied. Peroni...pah! lol!!

When I partial extract and grain am I am gonna use these kits as my base because they have never let me down, never promised anything and above all the price of them kicks butt. Some times I guess people think that the more that people pay the better their beer is going to be, albeit that is an opinion.

I am still using the same process with the brewing sugar and DME on all of them and so surprised by how bad things can be with the more expensive kits than the cheaper ones.

I can say that the Coopers Ruby porter with extra dark dme + brewing sugar ala Craigtube formula is exceptional. And if I were to start over again, I'd avoid anything else until I wanted to AG or PG.

I think I am going to skip alot of time and disappointment and soon enough try all grain because I'd rather waste my money on something that was my fault rather than paying for something only to be disappointed by it. I've seen some extract kits on Ebay that can cost £100 and I am like nope, just no. You guys have got this right and I am gonna start AG and soon. Cheers ;)

When I used to use kits, I came to a similar conclusion, that Coopers kits were the most reliable. Modified Canadian Blonde was my best - When I started partial mashing, I got some great results with the ruby porter. However, once you start partial mashing it's not long before you make the transition to all grain, in my experience.

I found the same, the Coopers kits were amongst the best even though just the one can that needed supplementing with malt extract. Coopers Stout in particular, the Australian Lager was good too. A shame Wilko stopped selling them as I can't get them locally now.

FYI, Coopers have a load of recipes on their website that involve tweaking the kits with hops and grains. I've done a few of these and they're well worth it as a stepping-stone to full extract or AG.
https://uk.diybeer.com/brewing-info/recipes

I've seen some extract kits on Ebay that can cost £100 and I am like nope, just no.
I assume are referring to equipment and not ingredients.
Either way are you sure you are not looking in the wrong place!
Extract brewing ingredients, if bought separately, are more expensive than AG for sure, but usually not as expensive as an LME based kit when you factor everything in.
And for equipment I did all extract brewing using 3.5 and 5 litre pots pots we had in the kitchen, but now do partial mash using BIAB.
And today I have just put 21 litres of wort into an FV made up using a partial mash. The partial mash kit has cost me £18 for an 11 litre SS pot and 75p for a Wilko plastic bowl which I modified to take my bag for draining and sparging. Nothing more needed over and above what I have been doing for extract and boosted kit brewing.

Er nope my friend, just enter stout brew kits into the search on ebay and you will find what I am talking about.

The most expensive kit I've ever seen is £50 for an extract DIPA or Imperial Stout.

I'm going to have to go and look for these £100 kits as I'm intrigued.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PicoBrew...hash=item468a35a51d:m:mW2cn2yvsEtiQtwMWd0h8Aw

And now I look the Russian Imperial ones mysteriously have disappeared that were £100 + scam? Dunno but even if it were all grain I wouldn't pay that kinda cash purely for a set amount of ingredients that I read and no equipment :/ May be also a problem with the listing as Ebay is not exactly very accurate with its listings for said product search either :/

And just to further my point. I have seen Wilko stouts with the Wilko label on it in the Ebay advertising being sold for more than it would be to go on their own website, order it and downpay for postage too. :/

For me, the postage is twice worth the amount of the item, I get suspicious. But power to yer for giving the benefit of the doubt.

Latest posts

Back