Coopers Original Stout Review

Discussion in 'Member Reviews - Beer Kits and Brewing Equipment.' started by Archtronics, Feb 9, 2012.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2016 #821

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Just a quick one....I've got the stout and AIPA alongside one another. The AIPA is still bubbling after 7 days, although it stopped yesterday and restarted. The stout has stopped,I cracked the lid yesterday for a sneaky peek and there's bubbles still rising so presume it's OK. One thing I noticed is the temp strips are saying 16-18°c ,so I wrapped a thick towel around the stout. Do you think the temp is on the low side?

Cheers

Clint

2. Nov 10, 2016 #822

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

As all has been quiet with this the past few days I've just done a gravity check. ..1011,so looks about done for a fg of 5.1%. I'll give it another few days then check again. Sample tastes fine!

Cheers

Clint

3. Nov 12, 2016 #823

unforgiven

unforgiven

unforgiven

hi all can anyone help
    got a friend into home brewing he has a coopers stout on now brewed to 21 thinks its stuck at 1015 been in the bucket now for 3 week

4. Nov 12, 2016 #824

terrym

terrym

terrym

What was the OG?
    Usually high OG = high FG
    Ditto low
    That said I had an Irish Stout finish at 1.015 from OG 1.046; no probs about that though, literally at the end of the PB really good :thumb:

5. Nov 12, 2016 #825

unforgiven

unforgiven

unforgiven

the OG was 1040

6. Nov 14, 2016 #826

Pirate_Pete

Pirate_Pete

Pirate_Pete

Landlord.

I don't know how accurate those temp strips are. I stopped using them or taking any notice of them some time ago.
    I use an STC and beer fridge now, but I use these to double check the temp.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-...erature-New-/121625869313?hash=item1c51777c01

7. Nov 14, 2016 #827

terrym

terrym

terrym

The attenuation isn't very good at 62% tbh. Your friend's brew should have ended up somewhere around 1.010.
    However I think it unlikely that he/she will get it going again, so assuming that it has definitely finished (another SG check) go ahead and bottle. It will now just be a bit sweeter than it would have been that's all. But as a precaution use PET for one or two bottles so that bottle pressure can be monitored in case it does wake up again.
    The good side of this however is that you will be able to enjoy more at a sitting given its only 3.3% ABV. :whistle:

8. Nov 14, 2016 #828

unforgiven

unforgiven

unforgiven

Thanks for reply Terrym I will pass on
    Advice

9. Nov 29, 2016 #829

hazzie_fozz

hazzie_fozz

hazzie_fozz

I'm attempting a coffee stout as a Christmas present for my family. I brewed this last night - I've fallen behind in my brewing schedule so I may well have to label it "drink me in 2 weeks"!

I brewed to 23l - last time I brewed it short but frankly I can't bear the thought of having less beer than expected!

I added

1kg brewing sugar
    300g treacle
    500g dark spraymalt extract

And got an OG of 1060.

Once it has finished fermenting I plan on adding 500g of coarsely ground coffee beans to the FV for the last 15 hours of fermentation. I have a large muslin sack that is almost as big as the FV that I use for making cold brew coffee in my coffee shop. So the technique is exactly the same as making cold brew, except for instead of using cold water, I'll be using cold fermented beer to extract the coffee.

For a 23l batch I would use just over 1kg of beans for cold brew, my reasoning for using 500g of beans is that the light roast coffee I'm going to be using is very delicate in flavour and so I think it will take a lot to punch through flavour of the stout! It's going to be an expensive brew will the extra fermentables and around £12 worth of coffee so fingers crossed this works! Will report back..

10. Nov 29, 2016 #830

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Landlord.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/cold-brew-coffee-adding-coffee-beer/

hello Hazzie

did you follow a similar process to the above link, id be interested to know if I do a porter next time I brew:thumb:

11. Nov 29, 2016 #831

hazzie_fozz

hazzie_fozz

hazzie_fozz

Hi BeerisGod,

Well - to a point, the difference being I'm making the cold brew in the FV with the beer, rather than separately brewing cold brew and mixing the beer and coffee solution together.

My reasoning behind this is that cold brew coffee works through the beans having a long exposure to cold water (or in this case, beer). You need a lot of water for the coffee to extract in because the surface area of the beans need to make contact with the water and have room to move around - unlike hot brew methods where you're using pressure (eg. an espresso coffee or cafetiere) and heat to extract the flavours from the beans.

So, I don't think it's possible to make a concentrated enough flavour of cold brew to add to the beer - eg. if I add 1l of cold brew that won't give the 22l of beer that I've just brewed enough coffee flavour.

This is the theory - I'm just basing it on reading a few articles and what I already know about cold brew coffee! Will be able to tell you more in a few weeks... it's possible I'm just going to end up with stout flavored coffee so don't copy me til I've taste it :lol:

12. Nov 29, 2016 #832

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Sounds interesting. ...would the Camp extract stuff be of any use?

Cheers

Clint

13. Nov 29, 2016 #833

terrym

terrym

terrym

Camp is not straight coffee if I remember correctly, its coffee and chicory and a bit of sugar perhaps.
    I use 3 shots of espresso from my coffee machine in my stouts, from 'Italian' roast coffee. No bitterness detected, just a subtle taste of coffee. Simples.

14. Dec 6, 2016 #834

willycoolj

willycoolj

willycoolj

Regular.

Added some monin chocolate cookie syrup to keg, very good drop of Stout, will do this again[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Dec 21, 2016 #835

Rico1973

Rico1973

Rico1973

did you add brewing sugar too?

16. Jun 6, 2017 #836

Shaddark

Shaddark

Shaddark

Will some one enlighten me as to what the BKE stands for ?
    Many thanks. . . . . . .

17. Jun 6, 2017 #837

jotley73

jotley73

jotley73

Beer kit enhancer typically half dried malt extract and half brewing suar

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Shaddark likes this.
  18. Jun 6, 2017 #838

Klemay83

Klemay83

Klemay83

Bottle a whole batch of this Last week. I made it a chocolate stout. I also did 8 bottles with 1.5ml of Salted caramel flavouring. And 8 bottles with 3ml of cherry concentrate. I was impatient so I cracked open a bottle of the basic choc stout last night. It's a good pint already... So come the Autumn I'm hoping it will be even better. Great tasting kit beer. Thoroughly recommend it.

19. Jun 6, 2017 #839

Shaddark

Shaddark

Shaddark

Thanks mate . . . . . . .new to the lingo.

20. Apr 2, 2018 #840

Kevin Falconer

Kevin Falconer

Kevin Falconer

Brewbie Supporting Member

I have just put this in fermenter yesterday. Used 1kg DME, 1/2kg dextrose and 175g treacle. Two yeast packets (Cooper's kit packet and Muntons Gold). OG was 1.054. It is also going like the clappers. Normally my brew room keeps them at 22C but this is heading up to 24-26C just through exothermic processes. Hoping this will settle out at 1.010 for a 6.5%-er.