The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racecaptain

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as Damson wine as I have a large number of Damson trees and there is aonly a certain amount of Damson gin you can make! I would like to find other uses for damson so gratefully receive andy suggestions, I also have a large amount of 1 litre Grolsch type bottles (many full of dark Christmas ale) that I would like to swap, for anything really!!

Here are a couple of recipes i found on the forum.

3 lb damsons
3 lb sugar
1 tablespoon pectin enzyme
Water up to 1 gallon
Yeast nutrient
Wine yeast

Place the damsons in a fermentation bucket and add the boiling water. Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved. When cool add the pectin enzyme, yeast nutrient and wine yeast. Cover and leave to ferment for two days, stirring daily. Strain into a demijohn and fit an airlock to seal the jar.

Store in a warm place and allow the fermentation to work. When fermentation has ceased, rack the wine into a clean jar and place in a cooler environment and leave. When the wine is clear and stable siphon into bottles.

-------------------------------------

4 lbs Damsons
1/2 lb Barley
3 lbs Sugar
Pectolase
Yeast & Nutrient

Grind the barley in a mincer, stone and cut up the fruit, placing both into a bin.
Pour over them boiling water, cover closely and leave for four days, stirring daily, adding pectic enzyme when cooled.

Strain onto the sugar, add nutrient, stir until all is dissolved, add yeast. Keep closely covered in a warm place for a week, then pour into a demijohn, filling to the bottom of the neck, and fit an airlock. Etc. as normal.

I have made to this recipe before, but it was a very long time ago and I really can't remember if it was any good.

Back