Does this look right?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,I made a Greg Hughes bohemian pilsner. I used weyermann floor malted bohemian pilsner Malt with wyeast 2124 from the MM. This looks very dark to me ,is this normal?
20220412_093416.jpg

Was it 100% pilsner malt? It does look rather dark, but without knowing if you used any other malts all I can say is it's much darker than the pilsner I made with that malt. Did you decoct at all? How long was your boil and did you get any scorching on the boil kettle?

These clear pressure fermenters seem to make the beer look much darker than it is. I was really worried that I’d cocked up my Helles by using the wrong Caramunich or something because it was so dark in the fermenter but it’s turned out the perfect colour.

Had a similar issue with my Mexican lager but it’s didn’t look quite as dark as my Helles.

This was my Helles in the fermenter:
9B475E79-3E02-4588-B41B-87AA9ECC72E9.jpeg

And this was it in the glass:
55AE315F-19EF-4166-9557-5323D3DA3BE5.jpeg

Was it 100% pilsner malt? It does look rather dark, but without knowing if you used any other malts all I can say is it's much darker than the pilsner I made with that malt. Did you decoct at all? How long was your boil and did you get any scorching on the boil kettle?
100%pilsner Malt, 60 minute boil and zero scorching.only thing I did different was I put it in a hdpe container for 2 weeks whilst I fermented another brew. I took a reading today and obviously had to taste it and it tasted fine so I'm not to worried. Just wondered why it was so dark.i guess time will tell

These clear pressure fermenters seem to make the beer look much darker than it is. I was really worried that I’d cocked up my Helles by using the wrong Caramunich or something because it was so dark in the fermenter but it’s turned out the perfect colour.

Had a similar issue with my Mexican lager but it’s didn’t look quite as dark as my Helles.

This was my Helles in the fermenter:
View attachment 66502

And this was it in the glass:
View attachment 66503
Can't see your picture of the fermenter

Back