Drinks You Wouldn't Admit to Drinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair point, same goes for Carling, Heineken, Erdinger, Schultenbrau and the like. The fact that it's enjoyable under specific circumstances doesn't make it good persé.
I don’t think you can compare any beer to Carling! I know people who generally buy whatever cheap lager is on tap in a pub and they generally avoid 2 beers - Carling and Carlsberg.

Jack Daniels - many years ago I thought it was the coolest drink imaginable, until I sickened myself of it. Recently I've taken to trying other whisky's and bourbons and have realised how bad JD is; compared to some cracking bourbons such as Eagle Rare and Woodfords Reserve, I hang my head in shame at how bad my taste buds must have been 30 or so years ago :oops:
To be fair Gentleman Jack and Single barrel are decent, but JD No7 should be called No2.

Jack Daniels - many years ago I thought it was the coolest drink imaginable, until I sickened myself of it. Recently I've taken to trying other whisky's and bourbons and have realised how bad JD is; compared to some cracking bourbons such as Eagle Rare and Woodfords Reserve, I hang my head in shame at how bad my taste buds must have been 30 or so years ago :oops:
I had a similar experience with OVD. I used to drink it as my go-to spirit until I realised that much nicer runs were available. These days it’s the golden tuna I tend to go for, obviously Havana Club Especiale is the most commonly available decent one.

My parents bought me a litre bottle of OVD as a first foot a couple of years ago, I took it down to Tesco and exchanged it for a bottle of Red Leg.

I'm partial to a Rhienbacher Pils from Aldi when I have no HB on the go. I think it might be the cheapest beer they have on offer.

I on occasion use Jack Daniels in an Old Fashioned, with the sugar and bitters I’m of the view that using a more expensive bourbon is a waste (that said you could just as easily use Aldi own brand for this at a fraction of the price). But I wouldn’t drink it neat (in fact goven that it seems the standard is to mix itmwith coke does anyone actually drink the stuff neat)

Must confess to enjoying the occasional Cheeky Vimto! Or if i'm on a night out and can't drink any more beer, I do like a Blackbeard.

Is that Bud or Bod Clint?

To be honest, I thought he was going to say Babycham.... Pah, I've drunk Budweiser Prohibition Brew before now, you know, the one with no actual alcohol in it? :tongue: At least it's not in a little bottle with a picture of a baby deer on it.... (full disclosure, I used to like Babycham when I was a child...).

From the reaction other people have when I mention it, my drink of shame is apparently Amaretto.... Poured over ice, or mixed with Tia Maria and iced coffee.... Delicious.

I mostly drink Speyside scotch though.... 🥃 2 or 3 ice cubes. Single malt is best, but I'll take Monkey Shoulder in a pinch. No shame there though. lol

I had a similar experience with OVD. I used to drink it as my go-to spirit until I realised that much nicer runs were available. These days it’s the golden tuna I tend to go for, obviously Havana Club Especiale is the most commonly available decent one.

My parents bought me a litre bottle of OVD as a first foot a couple of years ago, I took it down to Tesco and exchanged it for a bottle of Red Leg.

OVD - now there's a blast from the past ! Seems to be peculiar to Dundee as I've seldom seen it anywhere else and have had some strange looks when I've asked for it !!!

OVD - now there's a blast from the past ! Seems to be peculiar to Dundee as I've seldom seen it anywhere else and have had some strange looks when I've asked for it !!!
I had assumed it was the default “dark rum” in most of Scotland, the same way that if you ask for “lager” you get Tennents.

Seeing the post above, do I dare admit to drinking a lot of jakey vimto in my uni years? Buckfast and blue wkd. Definitely sets you up for the evening.

Back