Drinks You Wouldn't Admit to Drinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeHappy

Beer today, gone tomorrow
Reaction score
I was just thinking that a few of us probably have drinks (alcoholic mainly) that you wouldn't wish others to know that you like, and may actually lead to a ban on here when you admit your guiltšŸ˜

I'll start of with a couple of the ones I can think of.

1. Caffreys
2. Lidl lager. I can't remember the name now but it comes in green 500ml cans.

I have admitted it once before on this forum, the first pint I bought for myself in a pub was.......I can barely bring myself to repeat it.........Hofmeister. What can I say, I was young, I needed the money.

I have admitted it once before on this forum, the first pint I bought for myself in a pub was.......I can barely bring myself to repeat it.........Hofmeister. What can I say, I was young, I needed the money.
Mine was Harp in a pub, kestrel in an off licence. My excuse, I was young and amazed I got served.

Hehe. Mine was 1/2 woodpecker cider on my first day of college when I was 16. After that my first pint of actual beer was Castlemaine XXXX in a nightclub. Dreadful stuff.

Used to enjoy a can of Sapporo. You know the ones where the whole top peeled off and you were left with a sort of metal pint "glass"
Cool or what in the 80s

Folks I've got to say we were all young and senseless at one stage and as much as we all hate to admit it most would have enjoyed the feeling of getting sideways due to what we drank then and feel ashamed that we did. I drank some **** in my day with some of the worst hangovers that lasted for days. Harp, steiger, bavaria, white lightning, Kronnenburg 1664,Martini Extra Dry (in a very large bottle that gave me the worst hangover that lasted 3 days) Potcheen (which I would still have but it has to be plum) and many others. The flipside is they actually contributed to my appreciation of beer and take the chance to try something else especially those I never heard, seen or even smelt never mind knowing that what I can make is far more superior made in a few pots, pans and buckets in my garage. 2 negatives make a positive.

Jaeger Lager and Chequer Bitter...ā€¦ā€¦.not sure if they were part of the local shop's "My mum's" range.....Jeez showing my age now!!

Never say never šŸ˜

As for Lidl they actually do some decent lager, think their premium one is call Perlenbacher which is brewed in accordance with German purity laws so nicer than Stella and probably less hangover inducing.

Personally there has been little that I've turn my nose up to over the years,

When I was young (underage) we used to drink all kinds of rubbish... 20/20 which was peach schnapps I think, pulse cider which was a cheap rip off of white lightning, and Gold Label Barley wine. Lead to some messy times that's for sure.

Nowadays if I'm in a pub with little choice I'll go for Heineken or the new Carlsberg Pilsner. Don't know if the latter is just marketing or what but it's actually alright if you like a light pilsner.

I love a bottle of Corona every now and again. I think it gets far too much flack from the craft beer crowd. Itā€™s refreshing and hasnā€™t had its intended taste tainted by being brewed under licence.

I also spent a week in India with work last year and was drinking several pints of Kingfisher every night. It wasnā€™t great but it got the job done.

Never say never šŸ˜

As for Lidl they actually do some decent lager, think their premium one is call Perlenbacher which is brewed in accordance with German purity laws so nicer than Stella and probably less hangover inducing.

Personally there has been little that I've turn my nose up to over the years,
I've never understood how Germany's "affordable bread" protection laws necessarily produce a nicer and less hangover-engendering beer than those beers where the water chemistry is adjusted, grains other than barley are used and, in Belgium, spices and orange peel are added. I had some very nice German beers, but also some awful ones which claim to comply with Reinheitsgebot.

Latest posts

Back