Duvel Triple hop, not for me thanks

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Pennine

Reaction score
I tried the citra version, and it was cat piss galore and it caused me not to use citra for the next year which is unfortunate. I still haven't used citra as a bittering hop because of that bottle of nasty.

I love the actual Duvel however.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
Is a bad bottle likely from such a big brewery? Genuine question cos I really don't know, but I'd have thought it more likely he just doesn't like it.

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the Citra and the Cashmere, and preferred the Cashmere: a bit more tangerine than citrus. But both were good. There also was a Nelson Sauvin, but I missed that one I guess.
But good brews nonetheless.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a bad bottle likely from such a big brewery? Genuine question cos I really don't know, but I'd have thought it more likely he just doesn't like it.
I agree, Belgian beers and my palate are far apart I think

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
The Duvel Triple Hop used to change every year if I remember right, with a different hop variety each time. It seems to have been citra for a good while now though, wish they'd change things again to keep it interesting.

Edited to add - apparently they DO still do a new hop each year, but the citra sold well enough for them to make it a semi-permanent addition. The annual hop version this year is Cashmere, should be delicious!
Jesus. That'll be excellent.

Pennine

Reaction score
I only use Citra as a dry hop / hop tea where applicable.
Yes I've had pretty good luck on the 15min and less additions in the boil as well, but usually the catty thing is faintly there with the 15 min additions but slight.

Pennine

Reaction score
The cashmere one sounds good, it's a very smooth bittering hop. I always got coconut that disappears into lime after a few weeks in the bottle.

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
I don't think I could bring myself to use either Citra or Cashmere as bittering additions. Would feel very wasteful.

Pennine

Reaction score
I don't think I could bring myself to use either Citra or Cashmere as bittering additions. Would feel very wasteful.
Don't discount cashmere for bittering in a stout makes for a very smooth creamy bitterness.

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
Don't discount cashmere for bittering in a stout makes for a very smooth creamy bitterness.
Certainly has the right stats for it (high alpha, low cohumulone). It's just that it's so good as an aroma hop, and very expensive.

Hanglow

Reaction score
I much prefer the original, a genuinely great beer. I still like the triple hop though, it's pretty good imo.

Sorachi Ace is indeed a weird one, I get coconut and lemon from it. I made a really nice saison with a lot of it once, can recommend that. I used belle saison yeast

Pennine

Reaction score
Grabbed a bottle of cashmere and citra to give them both a try. Citra is way better now than when I had it probably 5 years ago, a bit catty still but good. Cashmere was excellent too, I forgot how much I like that hop.

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
Grabbed a bottle of cashmere and citra to give them both a try. Citra is way better now than when I had it probably 5 years ago, a bit catty still but good. Cashmere was excellent too, I forgot how much I like that hop.
I bloody love Cashmere. Where did you get the Cashmere one from?

Latest posts

Group Builder