Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my admittedly limited experience I have concluded that best way is to use minikeg is for relatively low carbed offerings, traditional bitters etc, prime with sugar and dispense with the Party Star - any sediment is left in the bottom with the last half pint that is difficult to get out in any case. Gas keeps the beer fresh and tops up pressure for a decent pour.

I was trying to avoid using the disposable 8g or 16g canisters though. I have a 6kg cylinder of CO2 from a previous excursion into 3V all-grain brewing (I've since sold all my kit and am getting back into it, using BIAB this time) and wondered if I could use that. I did come across this which would seem to fit the bill if I went down the mini-keg route:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00476V9IU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you could find a way of doing the fiddly bits through the small hole in the top then you could insert a stainless steel Schrader valve like the one in the photograph.

I managed to install one in the plastic top of the 2 x 10 litre kegs that I have.

When the pressure gets low, all I have to do is apply a bit of CO2 pressure instead of opening up the cap. With no air (and associated oxygen) getting into the keg there is no need to worry about the brew going off due to oxidation.

PB with CO2.jpg

Bought a couple, plus some bungs, from BrewUK. I have also re-used one that had beer in it (!) with a new bung. Waiting to see if there are any problems with that ..
Happy to say both the new keg and the recycled one (with replacement top bung) worked fine.

I've purchased a partystar dispenser ,rubber bungs and 5 grey 5L kegs , when I'm trying to add the CO2 it doesn't seem to be adding much pressure to the keg ,I must be doing something wrong as other posts report too much foaming , I'm not getting any head in the glass whatsoever? The instructions which come with the partystar are in german and are quite useless.

when I'm trying to add the CO2 it doesn't seem to be adding much pressure to the keg ,I must be doing something wrong as other posts report too much foaming , I'm not getting any head in the glass whatsoever?

Are you trying to add CO2 to flat beer?
Most people add sugar to keg condition similar to bottling and then use the CO2 for dispensing & beer freshness once it's carbed up from the sugar.

Are you trying to add CO2 to flat beer?
Most people add sugar to keg condition similar to bottling and then use the CO2 for dispensing & beer freshness once it's carbed up from the sugar.
This. The CO2 is purely to push the beer out then fill the headspece, not to carbonate

This. The CO2 is purely to push the beer out then fill the headspece, not to carbonate
Thanks,I noticed when I took everything apart , the CO2 is released on top of the beer and not into the beer as with my old tap a draft system , I also noticed that I hadn't tightened the beer dispensing nozzle which probably was why it was losing pressure.

Yes added 15g sugar.

Sounds like a leak then.

My normal process would be to add the sugar, leave it for a week or 2 at room temperature, then a week or 2 somewhere cool to carb up.
When ready to drink I'd insert the tap, pour beer and top up with a little blast of CO2 to keep fresh.
As the beer level and pressure dropped I'd give a longer blast of CO2 to assist with dispensing, or leave it on while pouring if needed.

Thanks ,
"As the beer level and pressure dropped I'd give a longer blast of CO2 to assist with dispensing, or leave it on while pouring if needed."
Is this done by the rotating knob on the dispenser? I've tried turning it but nothing seems to happen, also when a new canister is added does the knob need to be in the minimum or maximum position , I've used 3 canisters so far on this first keg and still doesn't seem much pressure there.

Is this done by the rotating knob on the dispenser?

Yes, just a quick blast for a second or so between pours, or after a few if you're having more than one in an evening, you should be able to hear the gas going in until it makes a sort of honking noise.

The knob should be at minimum when you put in a new bulb. When you screw in the holder, you should hear & feel the gas escaping briefly as the bulb is pierced before you've quickly tightened it up all the way.

At that point you shouldn't hear any gas escaping unless you turn the knob, if you do then you may have a leak. Check the holder is fully tightened, check the dip tube is snugly tightened (not too much in case you break it), maybe smear a thin coating of vaseline around where the dip tube goes through the keg bung.

I've occasionally had issues with not being able to tighten the bulb holder enough to stop gas leaking from the bulb itself, I think certain brands are a slightly smaller size, so I stuck a bit of cardboard or padding in the bottom of the bulb holder to give a bit more purchase.

Did you leave a bit of headspace in the keg when filling? If it's too full there will be nowhere for the gas to go.

The CO2 part of the tap should work the same without being inserted into a keg, as long as the knob is at minimum it should be sealed, and if you turn the knob you should hear the gas. So if all else fails, you can try pulling the tap out of the keg and trying that.

All that said, there should have been plenty of pressure from the sugar to begin with, sometimes too much, so if it's totally flat that sounds like a leak, or it never carbed up in the first place, or if it's a red & black bung maybe it was left in the open position.

Hey guys! I just got an email from Geterbrewed on these going for about £6 (might have to add tax).

I want something to use for when I bring beer into work for the team to try. Sick of not getting bottles back! It seems that people don’t know how much time goes into cleaning and bottling...who’d of thought?!! Lol!

Anyway I think I’ll try one out as I can use one for above reason and then bottle the rest of my batch for myself.

On this though I just wanna show you this if you’re thinking about it still, a video a guy made on YouTube about reusing them.

Cheers

Hey guys! I just got an email from Geterbrewed on these going for about £6 (might have to add tax).

I want something to use for when I bring beer into work for the team to try. Sick of not getting bottles back! It seems that people don’t know how much time goes into cleaning and bottling...who’d of thought?!! Lol!

Anyway I think I’ll try one out as I can use one for above reason and then bottle the rest of my batch for myself.

On this though I just wanna show you this if you’re thinking about it still, a video a guy made on YouTube about reusing them.
U

Cheers

I've got a couple of supermarket kegs that I've recycled. Unfortunately I ended up with the type where you have to cut the bung to get it out. I've bought replacement bungs though for pence that work fine.

I've got a couple of supermarket kegs that I've recycled. Unfortunately I ended up with the type where you have to cut the bung to get it out. I've bought replacement bungs though for pence that work fine.

Whats the deal with when it's down to about the last litre or thereabouts? Dribbling out or still good pressure?

Latest posts

Back