Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ghost ship has the red centre. Are these reusable?

I was under the impression that they were a pain to remove so you pretty much had to destroy it to get it out properly.

Not sure what the kegs from Leyland have as there is no picture of the top but they claim to be reusable.

Also, is there anywhere I can get the bungs from apart from Brewuk or Leyland. I can get the kegs from other places full of beer, but don't want to spend over £6 delivery for just 2 bungs. I don't order anything else online so can't make an order up as I get all my stuff from my LHBS, but he can't get the bungs.

Yes they will be. You would replace it with one of these http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/two-piece-bung-822-p.asp as a replacement after filling if you want to fit a tap on the top or pressurise it. plus it's re-usable. If your just going to rely on priming it then Leyland also supply the same bung and the one thats in there now.

I got the complete setup from Leyland a week ago. Very helpful chap there. It came with the 3 kegs, the grey bungs you listed and also 3 of the red centre ones and 3 handles. Also had the tap and CO2 bulbs.

Yes they will be. You would replace it with one of these http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/two-piece-bung-822-p.asp as a replacement after filling if you want to fit a tap on the top or pressurise it. plus it's re-usable. If your just going to rely on priming it then Leyland also supply the same bung and the one thats in there now.

Thanks for your help. I may just buy some kegs from Adnams with some beer in them and take care when removing the bung.

It was easy with the OSH I got. Pull on the red bit and it breaks off quite easily. Then push in the red bit that it's broke off from and it will drop inside. The remaining black bit can be pulled out by hand I found. The grey re-usable replacement is a lot easier to get in and out as the rubber is a lot more flexible.

To get the red bit out thats left inside. Fill the keg with water, turn upside down to empty but open the tap. If your lucky it will shoot out with the water.

It was easy with the OSH I got. Pull on the red bit and it breaks off quite easily. Then push in the red bit that it's broke off from and it will drop inside. The remaining black bit can be pulled out by hand I found. The grey re-usable replacement is a lot easier to get in and out as the rubber is a lot more flexible.

To get the red bit out thats left inside. Fill the keg with water, turn upside down to empty but open the tap. If your lucky it will shoot out with the water.

Thanks, very helpful. Will give it a go when I finish the Ghost Ship I have on the go at the moment

Right, a couple of questions now I've had a chance to have a good look at the stuff I bought at the weekend:

1) the previous owner provided 2 8g CO2 cartridges. The dispenser really should take 16g but he's lodged a piece of shaped polystyrene into the end of the cartridge holder in order to use the smaller cartridges. Firstly, am I safe to use it like this to use up the last 2 cartridges? I would have thought there'd be scope for the cartridge to wobble and leak as they have different girth a (Oo-er)! Secondly, where is the cheapest place to get 16g cartridges? I only want to buy 2 bungs and a box of 5 cartridges so don't want to pay the "usual" £7 postage cost.

2) I currently have an easy keg full of beer that I plan to tap on Friday. Do I just take the red bit out of the bung and attach the tap into the rubber black bit, or do I need to replace the bung with one of the reusable ones I've got?

Er ... I think it's a bit too late to be changing bungs!

If I'm right (and often I am not) then you have to wait until the carbonated CO2 pressure falls to zero before you can swap bungs. Then you can remove the red bung, replace it with a grey "push in" bung and fit the wand and the tap.

This is also my first attempt at MKs! :thumb: :thumb:

I have fitted a grey "push in" bung to mine on the basis that:

1. I will pull a couple of pints using the bottom tap and the carbonated CO2 pressure.

2. Push in the middle of the grey bung using the wand on the Flexi-Tap and inject a bit of CO2 for the next few pints.

3. Use my recycled bike pump to get the last couple of pints out of the keg.

I hope I'm right 'cos I will be using them by this Thursday!! :whistle: :whistle:

PS With the CO2 I would use the existing kit and the small CO2 capsules ...

... but I know how dangerous liquid CO2 can be if there is a seal failure and would wear the relevant safety gear so I cannot recommend that you use it!

Right, a couple of questions now I've had a chance to have a good look at the stuff I bought at the weekend:

1) the previous owner provided 2 8g CO2 cartridges. The dispenser really should take 16g but he's lodged a piece of shaped polystyrene into the end of the cartridge holder in order to use the smaller cartridges. Firstly, am I safe to use it like this to use up the last 2 cartridges? I would have thought there'd be scope for the cartridge to wobble and leak as they have different girth a (Oo-er)! Secondly, where is the cheapest place to get 16g cartridges? I only want to buy 2 bungs and a box of 5 cartridges so don't want to pay the "usual" �£7 postage cost.

2) I currently have an easy keg full of beer that I plan to tap on Friday. Do I just take the red bit out of the bung and attach the tap into the rubber black bit, or do I need to replace the bung with one of the reusable ones I've got?

You remove the tab and just push the tap in. The middle of the bung will fall into the keg.

What's with the two taps on this MK?

The first photograph shows two small glasses of beer pulled from the MK today within seconds of each other.

The glass on the left is from the bottom (built in) tap and the glass on the right from the top (Flexi Tap) tap.

In the second photograph (about five minutes later) I had drunk the previous contents of the right-hand glass and re-filled it from the bottom tap.

Is there normally such a major difference in pour quality from the two taps on a MK?

BTW The MK was filled only 10 days ago so I'm impressed with the clarity of the brew and the beautiful head that the bottom tap produces; but it takes a long time to settle. :thumb: :thumb:

MK Tap1.jpg

MK Tap2.jpg

Theres probably a difference in nozzle between taps as well as the bottom tap will be dispensed with the pressure in the keg as well as the head pressure of the brew. The Flexi tap Is drawing from the bottom so might have a pressure difference to the bottom tap. Could be totally wrong :-?

This thread is a marvel. Easy kegs bridge the gap between bottling and kegging. A nice halfway house and provide flexibility without huge cost.

This thread is a marvel. Easy kegs bridge the gap between bottling and kegging. A nice halfway house and provide flexibility without huge cost.

I half agree, but the cost of the 16g CO2 capsules is a bit of a downer.

I have just used a whole 16g capsule on a single MK.

At 50p a capsule to push out 5 litres it gets expensive as I only use a 2 or 3 x 8g capsules (+/-20p each) on a 20 litre keg.

Please check out this for an alternative that is being tried:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63766&page=2

My "beer fridge" is set up ready to try out my Beer King tap tonight. I'm so excited not even the Referendum result can bring me down (actually it can and it has, but at least I have a new gadget to try)!

image.jpg

My "beer fridge" is set up ready to try out my Beer King tap tonight. I'm so excited not even the Referendum result can bring me down (actually it can and it has, but at least I have a new gadget to try)!

Have you got some ice bottles in you 'beer fridge?' If you haven't stick some in their to bring the temp down to cellar temp for your beer

Latest posts

Back