El Dorado

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Quite simply what are El Dorado hops really like from anyone that has brewed with them as I find it hard to believe the hype and descriptors put out about some hops.
I have 200g to use

I can't tell you what it tasted like because I can't remember..... but I brewed this sessionable IPA a while back and I really liked it. 30 odd bottles went very quickly so I must have enjoyed it.

4.7g otter
200g caragold 60l
100g wheat

15g el dorado @45
15g el dorado @20
20g el dorado @5

Cooled to 85c then allowed it to cool naturally while i went out and chucked in

30g el dorado
30g amarillo
20g centennial for 20 mins.

Pitched cml 5

Quite simply what are El Dorado hops really like from anyone that has brewed with them as I find it hard to believe the hype and descriptors put out about some hops.
I have 200g to use

Don't tell anyone, but I think they are the best hops out there. Think tutti-frutti, jolly ranchers etc. Used to get them so cheap, but people have definitely cottoned on to how good they are. Go beautifully with Citra.

Yep reminded me kind of sweet cherry candy when I used them solo. I should get a batch.

They use it in my favorite neipa juicy bits along with citra and mosaic. Delicious although muted in that one, but definitely add to the juicines.

They also caused me significant hop creep so be careful if you are bottling.

Don't tell anyone, but I think they are the best hops out there. Think tutti-frutti, jolly ranchers etc. Used to get them so cheap, but people have definitely cottoned on to how good they are. Go beautifully with Citra.
I argue there’s no better NEIPA hop combo than citra, el dorado and galaxy.

Probably still the best beer I have brewed since taking up the hobby again was David Heath’s India Pale Lager which is fairly heavy with Mosaic and El Dorado - it was utterly outstanding.

Reading this thread has reminded me to add it to my to-do list for after I’ve done Murgy Straight batch 2 which I already have the ingredients for.

Thank you gentlemen I will do a ipa with it and maybe try a small dry hop with some of the cryo mosaic or citrate I won from CML

Personally I think it's one of those hops that is great as part of a blend but I'm a bit meh about as a single hop, but actually I think that's true of a lot of the very fruity hops, they can get a bit one-dimensional.

I’ve added a touch of ED (paired with harlequin) to my pineapple kveik beer to try and boost the fresh fruity flavours. Last time the tropical flavours died and it tasted a bit more like pear drops. Was still really good though, but I want to taste the pineapple!
I’ll let you know how it comes out in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back