Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you give us a list of plus and minus we don't seem to have many EV owners.
In fact there's more than you think. I've stayed out of this thread because it's so complicated and at times, comments making claims without substantiation.

I saw your post about the Morecombe Bay barrage, and the subsequent post that the sea is a hostile environment and such installations require hefty and expensive maintenance.

The one thing to say about those maintenance costs is that like other costs, they're justified or not according to prevailing taxation and incentives regimes. For example, if changes in the wider government fiscal and environmental policies shifted one way or another, the relative costs of building and operating any infrastructure would change. So, let's say that taxation policy pushed petrol prices so that driving 100 miles in a petrol car would cost, say, £100 just for petrol, and changes in other policies reduced the cost of electricity for EVs to say, £10 for the same journey. If maintenance costs were the same, the determinant of purchase decision is heavily influenced by purchase cost. The likely change in those fuel costs will cause many people to switch to EVs, which will bring down purchase costs whilst also creating a market for charging solutions.

The same is true for fossil fuel and green electricity generation. It does not really matter in the commercial world what the cost of maintenance of the tidal generator is, because we need power, and electricity is convenient . What matters is that profit can be made from it, with/without subsidies. If C02 taxation was increased significantly for fossil fuel electricity, the cost/kW of the tidal electricity falls in comparison, and if the total cost falls below the cost of the fossil fuel electricity, then it will succeed, regardless of the breakdown of manufacture /oprration/installation /maintenance costs etc. Its the total cost that is important not any component of it.

However, to get back to the pros and cons of EVs, probably the biggest benefit by far is the ability to pre-heat /cool the car before getting in. The aircon is programmable so you can tell it what time you want to leave and what temperature you want it to be, and it calculates when to come on. In winter, it means the car is not only warm (warm seat too, and in some models, warm steering wheel) the windows and mirrors are frost free. All whilst the car is safely locked. Simply get in the car and drive. No scraping of windows, no nasty de-icer sprays that damage paint, rubber and the environment, no risk of incomplete windows scraping because you're late. Just a nice warm car.

Other benefits as mentioned above :quietness. The interior is quiet, no engine noise even at high speed.

automatic transmission on hybrids and SOME EVs. I don't like one pedal driving option, but it will probably become standard. One pedal means that you press accelerator, the car goes. Take your foot off and the brakes come on. It will eventually be the way all cars go. Atm, I have it disabled and I freewheel when I lift my foot, but all controls are instantly available. Autos are easy to drive.

Direct transmission (single gear) or electronic automatic allows computer mangment of drive to stay within power useage/economy/load profile. This paves the way to Self-Driving Cars.

Also, satnav route planning can consider the state of charge and incorporate charging stops if required, or can reduce power consumption eg heating to eke out the power. Range planning is also integrated so you know at the start how much power you'll have left.

EVs are said to use power about 30% more effectively than ICE. I don't know if that's true, just saying.

On an simplistic comparison, EVs don't produce pollution where they are driven. If they're powered by green electricity, then the only pollution is that made during manufacturing. NO petrol car can claim that.

There's a move towards banning fossil fuel cars from some areas because of pollution levels.

Company car users pay reduced Benefits In Kind. As I said above, a government fiscal strategy to encourage change.

Until the Ukraine war, some shops provided free to use chargers as away to attract customers. Again, fiscal policy to cause behaviour change.

The acceleration and power delivery is instant, and smooth. They're fun and easy to drive, even if you're not a speedy driver.

Charging can be scheduled so you can take advantage of cheaper energy rates. You can also limit how much to charge the car. If you're out and need 10%to get home, drive to charger, programme the car, take what's needed, drive home and use your green, cheaper rate power.

If you have a home charger (or one at work) , you'll probably rarely need to use a public charger and so never need to make a journey to buy fuel . Your refuelling is done when it suits you. No standing in puddles on the forecourt trying not to think what you're standing in.. No looking around for disposable gloves because the pump nozzles are stinking. No queuing. Not even during petrol shortages.

Fewer moving parts mean EVs should be more reliable

Cons.
Possibly need a different mindset. Instead of buying petrol to last a week say, you may need to refuel more often depending on model/distance . If its at home though, while you sleep, does it matter?

Petrol refuelling is faster. Again, only a concern if you have to use a public charger. The faster chargers can give you 10-15% in about 10 minutes, However you can sit in the car, in the warm, away from puddles and dirty pumps. If you have an account with the provider (or an app) you don't need money. Login, charge, go. Money comes out of your account. Ever tried getting petrol when you've forgot your wallet?

Not enough chargers. The Institution of Engineering and Technology wrote a year or so ago that charger installation needed to triple for the 2030 EV deadline. Personally, I've only used a public charger twice and never had a problem, but my journeys were planned to ensure I didn't have problems.(that's part of my mentality. I'd rather spend an hour anticipating problems, than spend 20 minutes dealing with an unplanned one)

People who do a lot of milage and need to charge whilst out and about may need to plan journeys better. There are many apps that show chargers and whether they're in use. Some integrate into your car satnav so it can use the best charger. The difficulty is getting better. Most MWay services have some sort of charger.

The biggest difficulty is overcoming 100+years of fossil fuel R&D, mindset, disinformation and vested interests. I saw an old guy looking at the plug on a charger. He was tutting to his wife "look at that, just look at that, it's got 7 connectors. Tut. What a mess. 7 connectors, oh Lord. 7. What a mess" I jokingly asked if 7 was his unlucky number. No. I asked what the problem was with 7 connections. He couldn't give an answer. So why the problem with 7 wires? He moved on. Simple luddite bigotry. Just something to complain about.

Disinformation and misinformation is also rife, either from the uneducated or those with vested interests. I was up your neck of the woods chippy, in November for my wife's birthday. On our leaving day, the car was frozen. Whilst we packed, I turned the aircon on via my phone. When we went out, another guest was standing looking at the ice melting on the windscreen. He asked me what was happening. I told him. He was surprised. "I was told EVs don't have any heating because they don't have an engine to generate heat." I beckoned him over and opened the door. A blast of hot air came out. He was genuinely surprised

On a recent TV programme about Traffic England staff on a motorway. There was a EV involved in an accident. One of the staff said they weren't allowed to tow EVs. Wrong! You can't tow automatics because the transmission can be damaged. That message went out to millions of viewers, reinforcing a negative, incorrect perception of EVs

Do you not think there were problems when we first started generating electricity, or pumping gas through pipes? We just found solutions to them.

We've had 100+years of previous technology and the need to prepare to move to alternative technologies has taken a back seat for years, because there's been little incentive - conventional power is available, distribution networks are stable and secure, profits are high.

People, and companies always try to take the easy way. They only change when the other way becomes the easy way. Look at TV adverts for cars. How many are for fossil fuel cars? None. The only cars advertised are electric or hybrid. That's because the 2030UK /2035EC deadline forced them to look at alternatives to fossil fuel. There was no alternative. Rather than stop car manufacturering, or operate only in areas that still allowed ICE, they invested in the transition.

Early adopters of any technology always face difficulties. Don't forget, early car drivers needed a man with a red flag walking in front of them, and it was first thought that the human body could not survive travelling in a train at 30mph.

Those difficulties were overcome with knowledge and experience. Same applies to new power sources.

EVs may not be THE permanent solution. Hydrogen has a huge benefit to offer. But for car use, electricity is possibly the technology offering the best compromise between cost, performance, safety and speed of implementation.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I haven't posted here before and probably wont again, so spread out across the length of the thread, it's a small contribution.

Last edited:
I haven't checked but imagine reliability stats for all EV's is high as they have so few things to go wrong.
Problem with EV’s are they are immature technology. I only know teslas from various FB groups I’m on, but low voltage batteries seem to be consumable items, not unheard of for faults with the main battery requiring replacement at £17k if outside of warranty, suspension items can wear out quickly, steering rack issues, headlights have been a bit dicky in the past, and the usual electronic bugs that seem to be very difficult to fault find even for the ‘pro’s’….think CANBUS on steroids - windscreen wipers going haywire, electric windows with a life of their own, uncommanded and sudden emergency braking under cruise control, spurious error messages. Sure they’re all issues I’m sure will be fixed eventually. The only part that seems to be super reliable are the motors. Touch wood mine has been ok so far but my brother has a model 3 that has had several sets of ball joints replaced under warranty and the steering rack that is built into a huge front sub frame that is replaced as an entire unit. Not saying they’re common, but not unheard of.

I know Jag iPaces have a terrible reputation.

95% reliability is pretty poor. In industry anything less than 99.9% is not great. 99.94 and above is considered ‘world class’. Not sure many car brands are achieving that.

I’ve driven a Tesla Model 3 Performance since May ‘20 averaging 600miles during a normal working week.

Pros
It’s a lovely drive and the performance is exceptional. Running costs are very low and the service charges over the 86,000 miles are considerably less than my wife’s Q5 incurred in its first year of ownership.
Charging hasn’t been an issue despite my mileage, 75% is at home, 25% on the road. 10-20% of home charging is covered by my solar panels.
Running costs are low, I’m working out around 9p per mile for home charging. On the road charging is variable, and can be expensive depending on the provider.
Battery performance isn’t noticeably worse than when new despite 1200 charges.

Cons
Tyres and insurance are expensive, but I’m not sure if its much more than a Group 50 ICE with 20” wheels would be.
On the road charging network in NI is appalling. It was a lot worse, and has been growing steadily since April ‘23, but so have the numbers of EV’s on the road. Given my mileage needs, I have to use a rapid if I’m charging on the road which can mean a trip to a costly 3rd party provider.
However, those are all relatively minor compared to the ball ache of having to listen to people tell me it’s going to spontaneously combust, it’s a far worse eco option than diesel, the battery is going to die after 5 years and all the other uninformed bull that gets trotted out on an all too regular basis.

I don't know but i imagine leccy motors are not cheap nor are batterys and computers

Batteries aren't. Good luck finding any car today that doesn't have computers. Thankfully I have insurance (which incidentally is very little more than my ICE car's was).

Being automatic facilitates computer management of the car. For instance electronic gear changes rather than mechanical to stay within power useage/economy/load profile. This paves the way to Self-Driving Cars

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no gears at all in an EV. It's forwards or backwards. Unlike an automatic where gear changes are done automatically by the car.

Batteries aren't. Good luck finding any car today that doesn't have computers. Thankfully I have insurance (which incidentally is very little more than my ICE car's was).
The husband of my wife's workmate works for a car manufacturer. He's had a couple of years of lay-offs and short time working because of chip shortages.

A friend had a crash and his car written off. He needed another one for work. The only model of his preferred ICE make he could get was one of the more basic models, because it didn't have the chips used in the more sophisticated models. The chips were simply unavailable across a variety of brands.

The integration of processing power in cars has increased dramatically in the last 5 years or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no gears at all in an EV. It's forwards or backwards. Unlike an automatic where gear changes are done automatically by the car.
It depends on the model. Our hybrid has an automatic gearbox, even when in EV mode. Our other car full EV does have a gearbox. There are a few that do. Also cars with multiple motors can have different ratios to deliver power in different ways eg, at different speeds to simulate gearboxes.

The point is that just like the engine management computer in a ICE can monitor fuel/air ratio and adjust on the fly, EVs/hybrids can do something similar with the power characteristics to obtain best economy.

I was struggling to get the post accepted because of the length so I had to edit it and the meaning changed. What I've said here was roughly what I tried to say earlier.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll see if I can edit it for clarity.

Last edited:
It depends on the model. Our hybrid has an automatic gearbox, even when in EV mode. Our other car full EV does have a gearbox. There are a few that doCars with multiple motors can have different ratios to deliver power in different ways eg, at different speeds to simulate gearboxes.

The point is that just like the engine management computer in a ICE can monitor fuel/air ratio and adjust on the fly, EVs/hybrids can do something similar with the power characteristics to obtain best economy.

I was struggling to get the post accepted because of the length so I had to edit it and the meaning changed. What I've said here was roughly what I tried to say earlier.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll see if I can edit it for clarity.

Likewise. My wife has a plug-hybrid and it has to retains gears. I had seen there was work being down to simulate gear changes in an EV to me, but it just seems a bit gimmicky.

Yeah of course!

plus:

way it drives is excellent. Power delivery is smooth and instantaneous, no gear changes or lag.
charge at home cost is soooo cheap.
its super comfy (obviously this will depend on model Polestar 2)
charging is easy - once you know the routine it’s simple.
tax benefit for a company car is ludicrously good
levels of technology are outstanding- all the apps I need are native.
the charging forces you to have breaks; previously I’d drive 450m in one go and be knackered when I got home. Now I’m forced to stop and have really noticed the difference in not being so mentally drained

cons:

costs are high - tyres, charging at public chargers, insurance.
depreciation is really high
there’s not much data on the life of batteries longer term
its not as convenient as fuel, you need to plan your longer journeys for extra time and going via a charger(s)
it’s heavily reliant on tech and downloading software updates - if these go wrong it’s hard work getting the car back on the road

overall, as a company car doing high mileage 35000/year it’s a no brainer imo.

if it were my own money I’d still probably go EV now I’ve had this…. It’ll never replace the urge for a sports car but as a commuter or city car it’s fantastic.

the charging forces you to have breaks; previously I’d drive 450m in one go and be knackered when I got home. Now I’m forced to stop and have really noticed the difference in not being so mentally drained
This is a very good point and not mentioned often enough in EV threads, I used to drive a van and like you have done hundreds of miles without a rest and been drained when getting home.

I would quite like one as the main car, and keep an older ICE for longer trips. I say that as by the time I could afford one, I suspect battery capacity will be down to 60% or would only cover a 80% short range leaf.

Pros: ludicrous price depreciation, cus that's the only want normal people will be able to afford to buy them when they start selling off the current stock of company cars.
(Not everyone is lucky enough to have the option of a company car)

Cons: Excess tech gadgets that will break & fail (to be fair all makes of ICE cars also fall into this category now), and how long will they be supported. A bit like your phone, a couple of years of updates then what?

Fuel costs may be low, but running costs sound very high on insurance & repairs due to lack of independent mechanics

Screenshot_20231228-091830_Brave.jpg

In a thread about electric cars you can't go as far as you want to 👍🏻

And EV'S are soooo good people feel the need to keep a second car for the stuff it can't do.
What % of EV owners keep an ICE car for stuff it canot do, other than towing very heavy trailers I am not aware of "stuff it cannot do" can you enlighten us I am sure the owners here would be happy to discuss them with you.

Back