Equipment questions please :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your still looking to use a tapcooler to fill the bottles I think you will struggle with Tap connected to the top of a keg. When you have a tap attached to a kegerator the shank that goes through the door gives a strong base for the tap. When using the tapcooler you have to hold the bottle firmly against the tapcooler bung to build and vent the co2 to get it to working properly, I think you would struggle with a tap connected to a disconnect( may put to much pressure pushing up on the disconnect).
Below are the options to go straight from the keg or extension so you can place the bottles on the floor rather than holding the bottles as you would Infront of kegerator.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/tapcooler-beer-valve-keg-connector-tube/Or
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/tapcooler-counter-pressure-filler-extension-tube-2m/
You got a fridge yet....
Sorry I know everyone has mentioned the fridge..even with KVIEK I think the fridge will help your beers taste better quicker. Cold conditioning/crashing before bottling or kegging helps to get the yeast and hops out of suspension. some yeasts I think can give the yeasty flavours that others have mentioned because they take longer to clear out and the cold temps will help. I'm not expert on NEIPA's but I think although the Kviek will take care of your fermentation temp control the dry hopping is usually done at cooler temps to get the flavours your probably after so the fridge is gonna help you get the beer at the best temp for dry hopping, clearing yeast and keeping it fresh(NEIPA's don't like warmth).

I'm a fridge and freezer hoarder... I need more😋🍺

"Au contraire blackadder"
You don't need to open the top as the bag of hops goes in when you put the yeast in and then seal it. Then slide the hops in on the magnet and out again as needed.
No the pressure helps to get it off, just close the valve and then loosen a bit and it will bubble and be a bit messy but then remove the vessel and clean it all up fill with beer as mentioned ( can't do that if no pressure ! ) and refit the vessel.
What bag do you use when doing this, I looked at doing it with one of those reusable veg backs from the supermarket but they are so big that it would be dangling in the liquid from the start

Just looking at these now (while the hubster drives me to my mother’s house) and they look good. I have a question please about one of them. How would you start the beer flow on the extension tube (the option without the handle)?

Just looking at these now (while the hubster drives me to my mother’s house) and they look good. I have a question please about one of them. How would you start the beer flow on the extension tube (the option without the handle)?
If think this option you would use if you wanted to go with your tap handle disconnect option on the keg and then you would attach the extension tube so could place the bottle on a table or floor. This way you can use the tap in the normal way .

What bag do you use when doing this, I looked at doing it with one of those reusable veg backs from the supermarket but they are so big that it would be dangling in the liquid from the start
I made the bag out of fine net curtain and made a little pocket for the magnet and then cable tied the bag full of hops shut.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I have good news - the hubby has come home and informed me he's due a rather large tax refund next week, so I can buy whatever I want (within reason ha ha) 😁
So we're just planning the attack now! acheers.
Wow. I wish I earnt enough to pay loads of tax and be due a large refund. Congrats, anyway. 😂

You might look here for a decent bit if kit:
https://www.geterbrewed.com/brewiks-equipment/

Last edited:
fridge for free or cheap on eBay/FB Market place, £14 for a 40w tube heater from Screwfix and an ink bird for £30ish.
There's a load of decent looking brewing kit being sold on eBay, you could get a 50-70l 3 vessel set up for around £400 and just do BIAB in the boiler, use the HLT for sparge water and flog the mash tun.

Just checked Hifi Tower - they have a 25L Klarstein Maischfest B stock for £122.99 just now. Obviously you take a risk that there may be slight damage, but it comes with year's warranty and it's fully functional. They also have B stock 'repackaged' item for £179.99. 🤷‍♂️
I did exactly the same thing, after a week or so of waiting I hadn't had a confirmation email so I phoned their helpline. Turns out they had run out of "B Stock" and gave me a brand new one for no extra cost. Worth a punt, I'm really pleased with it.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I have good news - the hubby has come home and informed me he's due a rather large tax refund next week, so I can buy whatever I want (within reason ha ha) 😁
So we're just planning the attack now! acheers.

My husband knows better than to say to me 'buy whatever you want in brewing equipment'. :laugh8:

Whoop whoop! Only ordered this yesterday! Fab service from Angel home brew! Just a few bits to get and we’re in business! Hope we can get everything together by the husband’s birthday - 10th July. 😁

DF3ED8A3-656C-4016-9AC7-D01CF58A908F.jpeg

Whoop whoop! Only ordered this yesterday! Fab service from Angel home brew! Just a few bits to get and we’re in business! Hope we can get everything together by the husband’s birthday - 10th July. 😁

View attachment 49888
🥳🥳 Brilliant stuff and so good on the delivery time 😍, and that looks like a Malt Miller box on the right too! Once up and running, I hope it's even better than you expected !

Anna

View attachment 49888
And a nice little package of ingredients from the Malt Miller too? I just opened the door to an Elusive Spellbinder porter box set from them! Now wondering if I can skive from work enough to get the brew on this afternoon!

🥳🥳 Brilliant stuff and so good on the delivery time 😍, and that looks like a Malt Miller box on the right too! Once up and running, I hope it's even better than you expected !

Anna

Thanks Anna! And it certainly is from Malt Miller yep! I need to stop sticking things into holes and not being able to get them out! Hope I haven’t broken my tap cooler 😂

And a nice little package of ingredients from the Malt Miller too? I just opened the door to an Elusive Spellbinder porter box set from them! Now wondering if I can skive from work enough to get the brew on this afternoon!

No ingredients just yet - tapcooler, plate chiller, ink bird etc. 😍

Course you can - but I didn't say so! 😁 :cool:

Last edited:

View attachment 49888
Ooohh exciting! Seeing that package puts me in the mood to get a brew on! I've got 3 different AG brews ready to go but just don't have the time. That's where the Brewzilla comes into it's own - you can set the recirculation and basically walk away for the mash time. For my Klarstein, I need to be present to do a manual 'recirculation' every 10 or 15 minutes. Maybe just as well, as I'd be brewing (and spending) much more often! 😊

Back