Evri.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no evidence, but I believe couriers like Evri are paid so many pence per item. So if they have an opportunity to deliver, rather than take it back and have to deliver a second time at their expense, they will take it. If this means leaving it on a doorstep in the wet, then that's what they will do. I don't support it, but if that's their business model, I can entirely see why the self-employed, gig economy workers would take this course of action. The only way to get them to do better is to take our business elsewhere, but we all like a bargain, so we, understandably, take the cheapest option presented to us.

EDIT: I should also add that the Hermes / Evri service in our area has always been excellent.

While the final delivery part of Evri depends on your local driver, what is consistent is the way it's impossible to get any issue resolved if it doesn't fit with their automated phone system.

As a couple of examples, I had one parcel to be collected. The local guy must have marked it as collected without picking it up, but as it was in a 'collected' state on their system it was impossible to rebook.
For the other, I was at a house we're renovating, but only there a few days. I had a ladder due to arrive while there, but the local guy lied about attempting delivery while I was there, so the next attempt would be after I'd left. It was impossible to cancel the delivery so it was abandoned outside the house after I'd left.

All it would take to fix these would be a person to talk to who can re-book, cancel, or whatever is needed.

I think that choice is really important, if you don't like or have had bad experience with a courier then simply don't use them. We have found that courier experience can be better if you have the app and also use the what3words.

Having been sending parcels during the peak period for approx 10 years, this has been a tricky one for all our couriers. November saw our top performing courier, DPD at 97.9% and EVRI at 97.6%. I would normally expect DPD to be at 99.5%.

As I said, customer choice is absolutely key.

We must be the only area in the country that has an evri driver who's not only friendly but has always delivered our parcels on time and in good condition. We can't fault him at all or the service. Luck of the draw where we live I guess

Cheers Tom
I am in the same position. Always a great service on deliveries. I don't send much with them though

Couldn't agree more, and credit to you for offering it. With many suppliers you only find out who's being used when you get the tracking info. Given the choice I'd avoid Evri.
In future, I'm going to do as someone else pointed out above. Before making an order I'll email and ask who their deliveries are handled by. If they're using Evri, I won't place the order and if enough people do the same Evri will either improve or go the way of the Dodo.

The problem I have with Evri is that their EDI and or status messages leave a lot to be desired. I ordered something from Debenhams for Christmas some time ago, and fairly promptly it was picked and sent to Evri, which was confirmed by both Debenhams and Evri. It then sat in the Evri system as "we are expecting your item" for days, then in one day changed to "we have your item and will let you know when it is out for delivery" for five min (literally) before there was a knock at the door and it was delivered. So, fair play, they got the item to me in time but the status updates were bobbins. Now, that's just poor system design - showing that an item can travel through various stages of the supply chain without triggering an event / message. So it doesn't surprise me that they loose stuff.

Evri never again total sham of a company, before i order online i ring or email the company if it is evri they use i tell them why i won't order
Whatever I purchase the first thing I do is check who delivers it. If evri/hermes I refuse to buy. This saved me headaches for 4 years now.

Unfortunately Royal mail is causing the headache now.

Last edited:
I think that choice is really important, if you don't like or have had bad experience with a courier then simply don't use them. We have found that courier experience can be better if you have the app and also use the what3words.

Having been sending parcels during the peak period for approx 10 years, this has been a tricky one for all our couriers. November saw our top performing courier, DPD at 97.9% and EVRI at 97.6%. I would normally expect DPD to be at 99.5%.

As I said, customer choice is absolutely key.
Placed my malt miller order on Wednesday, Thursday morning I got the message they deliver between 5-6pm, the it got delivered 11am. Paid the £6 DHL/DPD fee. If there was only Evri as delivery I would not buy. It has become a principle with me - absolutely no evri. Those guys played their cards already.

Pretty fast delivery I would say. Delivery guy wasn't the happiest but I understand he was probably extremely busy.

Evri have lost every package to me and my wife so far, 6! Luckily only two are presents for kids and one of those should be delivered by another courier company tomorrow. Annoyingly my ground aniseed that I need for a brew was included in those 6. I can't remember the last time evri actually delivered here and I have suspicions that because I'm on a narrow bumpy country lane they can can't be arsed.

Placed my malt miller order on Wednesday, Thursday morning I got the message they deliver between 5-6pm, the it got delivered 11am. Paid the £6 DHL/DPD fee. If there was only Evri as delivery I would not buy. It has become a principle with me - absolutely no evri. Those guys played their cards already.

Pretty fast delivery I would say. Delivery guy wasn't the happiest but I understand he was probably extremely busy.
I have a love/hate relationship now that the MM has multiple delivery options. Mostly because I'd rather use DPD ,but Evri is like half the price for me. And well because even the DPD at £12 -15 is a bargain.
Tried on yet another homebrew website yesterday (for something the MM doesn't have) to order something and the shipping was going to be £25..... Sigh, even when their website says over £65 free shipping. Liars if you live in the Highlands and Islands postcodes....

I have a love/hate relationship now that the MM has multiple delivery options. Mostly because I'd rather use DPD ,but Evri is like half the price for me. And well because even the DPD at £12 -15 is a bargain.
Tried on yet another homebrew website yesterday (for something the MM doesn't have) to order something and the shipping was going to be £25..... Sigh, even when their website says over £65 free shipping. Liars if you live in the Highlands and Islands postcodes....
I see.

Over the years, decade maybe. Amazon. It was so good to get quality items for reasonably good price AND next day delivery. I definitely got very confident and the next day delivery very quick become the normal. But we needed things from elsewhere, eBay this and that. Everything apart from Amazon seemed ages to get delivered. Them Amazon started messing up deliveries I heard, nothing happened to me personally just stopped buying really, a financial decision. Still, small things purchased mostly on eBay with free delivery. Yes this free delivery where I had the most headache. Free mostly meant Hermes/Evry. Never again. They lost parcels, communication is a nightmare. It's just a NO from me.

So at this point I actually don't mind paying for a reliable service.

I seem to be the only person being positive about Evri here! I do prefer Royal Mail, but the strikes have made using their services totally unreliable for delivery on time, and this year is the first time I've used Evri for all my family presents. I think the age of a one size fits all parcel/post service has now gone, and we each need to consider picking a service depending on what we are sending. My personal view at the moment is:
  • Parcels that need priority delivery or to known house (rather than flat) addresses: Evri next day tracked
  • Parcels to flats or someone who might not be in at delivery: Royal Mail
  • Parcels of beer (cans) that don't officially have a value, and priority less critical: Evri standard tracked
  • Parcels of beer (bottles) for competitions: Royal Mail, tracked or priority.
  • Parcels out of UK: DPD
Scrap that last comment 😢... turns out my Christmas presents to my Dad weren't delivered 😟. Trying to get through to Evri to speak to someone is 'challenging'. I have though discovered that using their help line with the missing parcel code doesn't work, you just get cut off. The way to get to speak to someone is to give a code of a parcel that has already been delivered. This then gives you the option to speak to someone, and you can then give the number of the actual missing parcel.
Annoyingly several times running the gauntlet of their voice recognition system, you then get cut off as no one is available, the first time I got through I was then put on hold and after waiting was then hung up on. Today finally got through and was simply told I'd get a claim form, goodbye 🙁. The refund won't fully cover the contents which is partly my fault. I'll still use Evri I think for 24 hour delivery as I think those parcels get better attention, but I'm not sending presents with them again.

I've worked for them (Hermes / Evri) three times so I know how they operate.

The first time I worked for them was about 11 or 12 years ago and we had to buy our own hire and reward insurance. It just encouraged the couriers to drive around like madmen / women as they were getting 45p a parcel or whatever it was, plus they / we were paying for our own fuel and wear & tear on your personal vehicle. One couple actually got banned from driving as they were driving like such dicks. Ended up with £60 a week after all the expenses and the stupidly small round I had.

After complaining about the lack of earnings they took it upon themselves to pile everyone else's work onto us and so we had the opposite problem (the husband did it with me for a little while).

The second and third times were slightly better, as they arranged the insurance for you even though the cost was taken from your wages. Their HHT's never worked though and wouldn't keep charge so quite often you had to work on paper and that just wasn't acceptable to me as it slowed me down massively. Never again, and I wouldn't trust them to send anything either. Still not as bad as Yodel though.

I've worked for DHL too and it was a different class altogether.

Sorry for the rant :laugh8:

They're not getting great press coverage...

BBC News - Evri says sorry for UK parcel delivery delays
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64223554
Poor evri when they constantly don't show up and lie about delivery attempts, contacting them is impossible and if you can is useless no one cares about them. They don't want to say sorry through media. Now they use royal mail strikes saying/covering this is why **** service happened. Basically blaming royal mail. Don't believe that. Evri/hermes has ALWAYS been a pile of 💩💩💩

I will never buy anything that has anything to do with evri/hermes. Kept myself to this for years. This not gonna change for a sorry.

I think it's safe to say they have lost my package again. I actually feel sorry for the retailer I'm buying from. Yes, they should change the delivery partner but I'll bet this has really effected their business after checking Trustpilot.
Screenshot_20230111-071321.png

Latest posts

Back