Extract brew summer pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossdrums

Reaction score
So I'm enjoying this home brew stuff and after doing a kit, which is still maturing in it's bottles and my first extract brew, which is still in the fermenter, I'm thinking my next brew will be a nice summer ale.

It'll have to be an extract brew again, not ready for AG just yet, but I'd like to make something quite hoppy and fruity, with body but light in colour....something the wife will like ;)

tubby_shaw gave me a great recipe for a bitter which I hope to adapt....but I need help....all suggestions welcome.

thanks in advance

What volume and how hoppy do you want it bossdrums ? Is there a particular commercial beer that you have in mind ?

I'm lovin baggers hopping hare at the moment, not fruity but very hoppy, by volume do you mean % ...about 4.5% would be ideal

Good choice lots of styrians :drink:

How about something using just pale malt extract to an OG of 1.048 and styrian goldings or bobek hops to 35 IBU :hmm:
Get 30 IBU with your bulk bittering hops and 5 IBU with a late addition and a good amount of aroma hops after the boil :party:
Go with Nottingham yeast or even Safale 05 if you can wait for it to clear ;)
Give the recipe tool a go to create your recipe :thumb:
If you have any problems just shout :)

If I remember correctly (a long shot, I admit :P), I think Hopping Hare claims to be dry hopped doesn't it?

Alestar said:
If I remember correctly (a long shot, I admit :P), I think Hopping Hare claims to be dry hopped doesn't it?
Just bought some hopping hare :D Oh the hardships I endure ;) and the bottle info does hint at dry hopping although it could refer to any part of the process after the copper :hmm:

Just bought some hopping hare :D Oh the hardships I endure..

I can't get enough of it !!!

If anyone could point me in the right direction to try and recreate this brew, using the extract method, then I'd be the happiest man alive, still need a fruity pale ale for the wife though... :party:

When you say fruity bd, do you want a fruit beer, fruity hops or fruity esters from the yeast ?
Btw the recipe posted above will give a result pretty close to hopping hare I think :hmm: I think I detected some caramel malt in the bottle I had the other day, but I would probably leave it out on my first try at replicating due to the high gravity finish of extract beers :)

The fruity request was based on another badger beer, that my wife loves, golden glory, it's the floral peach with melon aroma one....bit dark though, i'd prefer a lighter coloured ale.

I took your advice and gave the recipe tool a go, put your standard bitter in, that's in the fermenter as we speak, as well as my summer hopping madness however, could you have a look at it and suggest any improvement as it only comes out at 4.1%, was hoping for around 4.5%

Expected OG: 1041 points
Expected FG: 1010 points
Expected ABV: 4.1 %
Expected IBU: 43.8 IBU
Expected SRM: 3.5 SRM

thanks in advance

To get the abv up and to lighten the body a bit I would possibly add 454g (a tin) of golden syrup which should then come out about 4.6% :thumb:
I would also be tempted to reduce the initial hops by 10g to bring the final bitterness closer to 40 IBU :hmm:
But thats' just my preference ;)

thanks, altered the recipe and will give this a try and get back to you...won't be for a few weeks though as I have quite a lot of beer on the go at the moment... :party:

Latest posts

Back