February 2021 comp - Dark beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started early with some of the sub 6% or "light" beers! The scoring is getting really hard, now have a joint 1st and new second with 1 point in it, but difficult decision comparing different styles.

Plan is to finish by end of weekend and I'll get the full feedback out next week. Cheers for the patience (and some great beers)
God speed

Finally results are in! It was very interesting tasting so many different beers brewed by different people. Its a shame I had to do it myself as it would have been a lot of fun to have done it with 2 or 3 others, it would also have removed preference towards different beer styles and personal taste. My wife did help out a little but she is not a beer fan, she was quite good at picking out different flavours and aromas tho.

I used the BJCP scoring guidelines as it seemed a fair and sensible way to do it, scores were out of 50 overall, split as below

Aroma -12
Appearance - 3
Flavour - 20
Mouthfeel - 5
Overall - 10

With so many entries and many of them really good there was a tie for 3rd and 2nd but 1st taken by only 1 point!

3rd - 43 points
@samale - Dark Winter saison
@dalecek - Winter stout

2nd - 44 points
@Moe - Oatmeal stout
@Subtle Duck - Bills mother RIS

1st place with 45 points
@Broken Toe - American Brown

Ill get feedback out as soon as I can, work has suddenly got really busy so might be a small delay but should get some time in the evening to type it up.

@Broken Toe Congratulations! a damn fine beer. It was just soo easy drinking, smooth and refreshing but with plenty of flavours well balanced, none of them too overpowering. This is the kind of beer that would be great to always have on tap as it would work well all year.
First prize is the below t-shirt, if you pm me your size and address Ill amazon one to you.
CaptureTshirt.PNG

Thanks @xozzx that looked a mammoth effort to judge. I’m buzzing with second place, it was my first competition 😀
Yours was a great beer. I had it a bit cold at first which made it kind of thin but as it warmed the flavours really shone through, well balanced and easy drinking, really enjoyable beer and no off flavours at all.

CML Hell?
The CML FIVE. I think it's the same of not very similar to the US-05?
Is an American amber similar to an American brown ale
Great question. I'm not wholly sure. Based on the UK versions of both I would guess that the brown is darker than the amber. But it could just be semantics.

Back