Feedback on my session NEIPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STICKY_ICKY

Reaction score
I tend to throw recipes together without any calculations, other than rough grain to water ratios I have seen online, and more recently based on my previous batches. I have no idea what kind of efficiency I'm getting, or really how I would even go about calculating this. I think I really need to start looking at water next too.

Here's my most recent recipe anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback or knowledge people can lend.

Citra session neipa. BIAB
6.3kg:30L
3kg crisp marris otter
1kg pale malt
1.5kg flaked oats
500g torrified wheat
300g amber malt (Because I had an odd amount left over)

100g centennial at whirlpool
400g citra dry hop. (100 during fermentation, remaining 300 at 2 day intervals.)

Mangrove jack's m36 liberty bell ale yeast.

60 minute mash @ 67°c (Slipped over slightly to around 69°c about 30 mins in.)
45 minute boil

1.044 OG
1.012 FG

4.20% abv

SAjQGPBIkbHLAhQhoBMrm5iM1Xu1UnPYitfirDA4cUCHfr1tJ7z03bmWTqkuaGy_bnSSdk3e-djQoybub8Fk=w1366-h646-rw

Sounds like you have already put the brew on.

I would have dropped the amber and some of the oats.
Ye, I've already done it. Just was trying to get a feel for what people thought in regards to grain bill, and to see if anyone could let me know if I'm getting a decent efficiency from BIAB or not. To me it seems alright, but it's all I know kind of thing.

I agree with the oats though, 25% is a bit high. I think next time I will reduce it to 15% and try messing with water profile for the first time. I've read that this is important in a NEIPA to accentuate the juicy creaminess.

With a 400g citra dry hop it sounds like a winner to me!
Your brewhouse efficiency is about 70% which is about what I got when doing BIAB. It's probably a little lower than it could be, but in practical terms it makes little difference. For example, in your recipe above, an efficiency of 80% would have required 800g less malt. How much is that worth, about a quid?

With a 400g citra dry hop it sounds like a winner to me!
Your brewhouse efficiency is about 70% which is about what I got when doing BIAB. It's probably a little lower than it could be, but in practical terms it makes little difference. For example, in your recipe above, an efficiency of 80% would have required 800g less malt. How much is that worth, about a quid?
Thanks for taking the time to work that out for me! And yes, I suppose it's hardly noticeable really. I may look at some methods to increase efficiency now I know where it is. Possibly mash for longer than 60 mins? I love how easy BIAB is at this scale compared to using a mash tun. 1 pot to clean VS 3 is enough for me, haha.

It's the first really hoppy beer I've made (that hasn't oxidised in the bottle) and I'll certainly be doing more. Proper smashable. Super low IBU. Great body for 4.2%. And of course the citra is allowed to take centre stage.

Back