Fermenting in Kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubrewworx

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone ferment in their kettle?

Reason I ask is I biab and now use hop bags. I was thinking rather than transfer to another vessel, I could pitch yeast once cooled?

I would like to raise this topic again - since I don't plan making brews too often, using a kettle as a fermenter for 3 weeks is not an issue. And I have a fermenter, so I can use kettle as a fermenter from time to time.
However, what are disbenefits of fermenting in a kettle? As I understand, more sophisticated BIAB like Grainfather G30 can get clogged from sedimentation. Also, the shape does not allow more convenient sedimendation when compared to conical fermenters
Could you advice about additional disadvantages? I assume Ferment in a Kettle (FIAK) system is much simpler than BIAB, so require much more involvement and control during the brewing process. Is this correct?
Looked at one FIAC - it looked fine until I saw the price Homebrewery BIAC Complete Beer Brewing System
Thank you

Last edited:
I've started doing it in combination with no-chill. BIAB, boil, switch it off and pitch the yeast the next morning. Which is what I did yesterday and today. So far I've done three like this and they are just as good as the ones I chilled and transferred to a fermenter. One of the big advantages of this method is the only thing you need to wash on the brew day is the bag. The fermenter/kettle you wash when you bottle/keg.

If losing your fermenter for three weeks was a problem you could pour the whole thing into the fermenter when it is cool. I'm contemplating this next time as I'm going to try a brew strong and dilute back so I can boil 12-13 litres and then dilute back to around 19-20 by tipping it into a 25 litre FV and then diluting to the desired strength.

Don't you let your wort settle and then run it off the trub? Don't know how that works with BIAB, but I know that after boil, I've got loads of lumps of crud stuck to the kettle above the water line. I wouldn't do it. The saving of washing up an FV is negligible in my opinion.

I have doing it for at least a couple of years now.
Don't use the element for ferment heat, it is far too course. Apart from that fantastic.
My BM had an additional 60w stick on heater for the inkbird.

Last edited:
Wonder what equipment do you use? I want something easy to get good results and then clean, but, since you didn’t mention it, I assume it is quite basic and you have lots of experience to compensate for simplicity

I have a Braumeister 20.
Overnight mash, overnight chill, pitch, bottle (typically day 10). No secondary. No sparge.
I have a lower pumped tap that I use for cleaning without moving the kettle.

Something to consider.
You won't want to be moving your kettle.
If you brew outside or in the shed/garage then you need to watch winter temperature or supply additional heat.
And if you want to do this indoors (say your utility room), then you will need super extraction/ventilation during the boil.

And if you want to do this indoors (say your utility room), then you will need super extraction/ventilation during the boil.

My BM20 is near the door, is an outhouse. Temp and steam extraction are indeed issues, but it now has 3 lids....

1. Original
2. Automatic boil
3. Fermentation chiller coil this works in unison with the heat pad and inkbird.

Tbh there is only a small percentage which is original 😁😁😁

Last edited:
You won't want to be moving your kettle.

I do. I'm currently doing 10-13 litre brews which I either carry indoors if temperature isn't an issue or into the brew fridge (in the shed) if it is. I've currently got a BIPL (recipe from @dave_77 ) cold crashing in the brew fridge and a California common in a room which is a steady 16 at the moment. Both in their kettles.

Wonder what equipment do you use? I want something easy to get good results and then clean, but, since you didn’t mention it, I assume it is quite basic and you have lots of experience to compensate for simplicity
I've got loads of gear, most of it gathering dust at the moment. Must have a clear out 🙂. It does feel a bit strange doing it so simply but having listened to the experiences of others like @MashBag and trying it for myself I can't find a downside.

I thought this might help. This is all there is in my boiler before ferment.

You can see the stainless steel on the bottom of the kettle.

This had 135g of pellets. This is all that escaped MJ 800micron spider and a bit of trub.

20231002_083609.jpg

Back