Filtering the wort.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a BM and the Ace I have never really been in favour of the hop socks and spiders as there are different opinions of loss of hop value of around 10%
After seeing the lauter helix I decided to make my own set up using a stainless steel compression spring and some copper capillary fittings and throwing the pellets straight into the boil.
Here are the results from the BM exactly the same results for the Ace.
The wort in the glass is the final runnings.

003.JPG

006.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

I read the other day where people are using there grain basket on there Grainfathers as hop spiders, it seems like a good idea but I would like to know more about what happens to silicone gasket at the bottom of the basket during the boil

I read the other day where people are using there grain basket on there Grainfathers as hop spiders, it seems like a good idea but I would like to know more about what happens to silicone gasket at the bottom of the basket during the boil

sounds like a poor idea to me im afraid. grainfathers have pretty good built in hop filters, and using the g/f's grain basket as a hop spider would result in a very violent boil around its perimeter and a large cooler still body of liquor sat within the grain basket, the silicone seal should be ok tho as i doubt it would sit on any hot spots hotter than 220c and similar silicone is used for ovenware. but you would need to adjust and refine boil off expectations i expect at least.

nice solution.. got a link to the SS bending coils?? what sort of gap opens between the coils at the pot perimeter?
Barely any gap, in fact two of the guys over here who use a pump to drain the wort had trouble with their pumps because of air trapped inside, easily remedied by opening the valve to dispel the air from the coil when filling with water.
I got them from Alibaba and the minimum purchase is 100 I have some left but postage would work out more than the helix.

Latest posts

Back