First liquid yeast.... recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initially I was going to to this recipe twice. One with flaked barley and one with flaked wheat for a head retention comparison. As I'm down to half a kilo of base malt and will be putting in an order, I'm thinking of doing it as above for one and with pilsner/lager as the base for the other. In how to brew he says all beers can be made from lager/pils. I've never actually used it and was interested to see if I could get away with only keeping a stock of lager as my base malt.

I may try a couple different liquid yeasts or one dry one liquid. I'm thinking that puts too many variables in to the equation which makes comparisons of malts difficult.

I'll probably buy west Yorkshire (although I'm slightly frightened) or London ale. Thanks for the info and advice!

On another note - am I better buying one pack and building a starter for two brews or just buying two packs and doing individual starters?

I've heard others using pilsner malt as their base malt and adding amber/biscuit if making an ale to mimic something like Maris Otter. I'm looking to do the same and use Golden Promise and see how that works in some styles which would use a pilsner malt.

I've not had issues with a big krausen yet, I ferment 15 L batches in a 23L FV, using the more rigid barrel type youngs model with the 4" screw on cap, it's got decent headspace above the 23L mark and I've only ever seen a few inches of krausen. It'll probably come to get me in my sleep when I scale up my bitter to 23L...

Starter wise, personally, I'd buy one and just build more starters but it depends on you capability for starter volumes. Might have to over-build one, then store the pitch for one beer then build up the yeast for the second beer.

On another note - am I better buying one pack and building a starter for two brews or just buying two packs and doing individual starters?

I would make a 2lt starter, ferment out then split into 5 or 6 containers. Use one of the splits for each brew making a fresh starter a few days before you want to brew. Six brews from one pack offers good value for money.

Latest posts

Back