First timer advice on heatpads

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eubo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m new to homebrewing and just started my first batch yesterday.
It’s a really simple beginner setup. I’ve got a 30l plastic fermenter bucket from balihoo. For my first time I’m trying a coopers european lager beer kit.
My main issue is that due to space I’m having to brew it in a garage. Because I’m in Scotland, you can probably guess the temperature is not ideal so I’ve got a heat pad under the bucket.
I’ve never used a heat. Pad before so not sure what to expect from it but it’s been disappointing so far. It only seems to be adding a couple of degrees to the temperature after most of the day. It also only seems look warm to the touch rather than hot. Is this normal? Am I expecting too much from a small heat pad? It is the brew2bottle.co.uk heat pad I’m using.
The current temp is just 14 degree - is that too low?
Thank you in advance.

I have a heat pad under my 23 litre FV and it keeps it at 26c - 28c in my unheated kitchen, try wrapping the FV in an old coat or something similar to try to keep the heat in.

As well as the mrs coat, insulation under it works really well. Concrete floors suck up heat.

Check the label on the heater you need
30-50w no more.

In a perfect world, you also need to not let it get too hot. Yeast likes a steady temp.

Many use and inkbird 308 to control the heat accurately... Which also gives you an element of fire protection too.

The current temp is just 14 degree - is that too low?
Lower than the optimal temperature but still fine. As a general rule too hot is a problem (introduces unwanted flavours), too cold just slows fermentation down.

I used to always push the temperature to the top of the recommended range, I now tend to aim for close to the bottom and don't worry if it goes even lower.

By the way, taking into account the geography you can ferment with a lager yeast as they like colder temperatures. I'm in Northumberland so similar ambient and I've taken to using lager yeast and ferment around 14c.

(I'm originally from Yorkshire and like the idea of spending less on leccy)

Hi there when i first started out i used the coopers european lager beer kit and the 46 days pilsner kit ..
Pritty sure its proppa largar yeast in them both and that should be and i did fement at 10c so you prob find your garage be spot on . Evan if bit lower the yeast will be working so will give off heat so no need for pad.
Use the heat pad afer day 12 to raise the heat

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Got it sitting at correct temperature now and it seems to be doing much better
What changes did you make?

I'm in Scotland as well and my better half is saying I should be using the garage instead of the utility room.
I use a heating belt at the moment. Maybe they are better at transferring heat to the whole liquid?

What changes did you make?

I'm in Scotland as well and my better half is saying I should be using the garage instead of the utility room.
I use a heating belt at the moment. Maybe they are better at transferring heat to the whole liquid?
The only change I made was to wrap the fv with an old padded jacket.
I think it was just losing heat without that making the heat pad ineffective.
Sitting now at around 16 degree which is hopefully ok

The only change I made was to wrap the fv with an old padded jacket.
I think it was just losing heat without that making the heat pad ineffective.
Sitting now at around 16 degree which is hopefully ok
Thanks. I'll try that in the garage with my heating belt. I'm tempted to buy an inkbird to maintain the temperature.

Like I said earlier, I sit my fv in a brand new builder's trug. This means that if there is an explosive ferment, any overspill is kept in the trug and doesn't ruin any carpets etc. There is enough room between the trug and the fv to stuff an old beach towel for insulation

I'm in Highlands. Usually ferment in utility room, but it's too warm to ferment lager there.

So did Budvar in garage (23L batch; Wyeast 2000 Budvar yeast; started 10-12-23), on 20W heated pad + inkbird controller with probe between pad and fermenter; covered with old 4.5 tog single duvet; with a bin bag over that.

Wanted initial ferment 10°C, untill SG 1036, then 19°C.
During cold snap, found that initial ferment temperature at top of liquid was 5°C lower than at base (where probe was).

Then moved probe, sticking it on fermenter around 1/4 of the way up.
Now, with set temp 10.5°C, and room temp 7°C: top was 9.5°C; base (above heat pad) was 15°C.

Once fermentation temperature upped to 19°C, there would be more heat loss, and a bigger differential between top & bottom. But didn't get any readings, with being away, and on return finding controller was off (having locked up after power dip). Temperature was 3.5°C throughout, but ferment had reached target by then anyway.

Was a bit worried about the 15°C, being excessive, but first taste (at end of 28 day ferment) seemed fine.
Might use much more insulation next time.

Latest posts

Back