Floaters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alefric LeHendz

Reaction score
Hi all, I pitched some S-04 yeast into the Saturday before last and whilst most of the krausen has dropped there are still some large lumps at the surface? I was waiting for it to drop before I took a gravity reading but provided it's finished, will this be ok to bottle if there are still some at the surface this weekend? My concern is that I won't be able to bottle until the following weekend if not. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

My experience of any floating yeast clumps left after the krausen has dropped is that they usually drop in time. If you have given it long enough in the FV and believe it should be finished take an SG reading to confirm, and if its done move it to a cool place if you have one, which will help it clear and the clumps to drop. But if the worst comes to the worst if its done and there are still clumps just go ahead and bottle, again my experience is that hardly any of these clumps get carried forward but if they do they settle out anyway.

My experience of any floating yeast clumps left after the krausen has dropped is that they usually drop in time. If you have given it long enough in the FV and believe it should be finished take an SG reading to confirm, and if its done move it to a cool place if you have one, which will help it clear and the clumps to drop. But if the worst comes to the worst if its done and there are still clumps just go ahead and bottle, again my experience is that hardly any of these clumps get carried forward but if they do they settle out anyway.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back