fortified wine??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCheekyMonkey

Reaction score
yep, i know some will call it tramp juice or whatever, but i was a bit partial to the old mad dog 20/20 when i was a young lad (not that long ago) and am just wondering how much spirit i should add to my wine to make it fortified.

basically i have a 2 litre demijohn, thinking of doing some sort of citrus wine (along the lines of the green MD20/20) with maybe asda`s 5 fruit citrus juice, i`ll let this ferment out to a reasonable ABV but i want it relatively sweet (not sickly, but i dont want it dry) and then i`ll add some spirit.

Now as some of you may know i ve done the alcotec 48 kit a while back which has turned out pretty well (26% abv and this time i`m using a bag of carbon for filtering on the next batch to remove any cidery smells / tastes, but thats a different story for another post) so am thinking i shall add some of this to my wine once i have it to where i want it, now i understand that this should kill the yeast and stop fermentaion, as well as up the abv, but my question is how much do i use? is there an online calc or has anyone done one of these before.

like i say this is only a test / taster batch, i`ll be using 5 fruit citrus from asda, youngs yeast and nutrient and some of my 26% abv alcohol kit ( or should i use some proper 40% vodka?)

cheers all!

Latest posts

Back