Full mash Dry stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
What's your technique for cold steeping? What malts do you cold steep?

I steep roasted barley and chocolate malt the night before i brew. I read its 2.5l per 500g. Strain it and you can rinse with 75c water or cold. Normally around 1litre per 500g. You can put it in the fridge but i normally leave it out on the cooker. It tastes almost like coffee. What you need to bear in mind is you will end up sparging less. Or you can reduce it down to a litre or so. I add it at the start of the boil. I actually think my Stout tastes better fresh using this technique and i also use it for BIPA's. Also it saves you having to adjust the mash alkalinity. Also make sure you put it through a fine sieve in the end to remove any small particles. You don't get that in the face roastiness doing this which i much prefer. Give it a go, don't think you will be disappointed and you can also go over 10%. I have done 13% RB before.

Well,, the Stout ain't the best... some weird flavours going on... ended up at 4.7%abv...
Named it Stinky Sheep before I tried it... must be psychic... I'll drink it anyway.. learning in progress..

Well,, the Stout ain't the best... some weird flavours going on... ended up at 4.7%abv...
Named it Stinky Sheep before I tried it... must be psychic... I'll drink it anyway.. learning in progress..
Unfortunately I have only one bottle each of mine left hanging on to them for a few months and bottled another two batches last week one with Gervin 12 ale yeast and the other with So4.69 bottles of 500ml and tasting prior to bottling gave a coffee aroma as these were only hopped for bittering and slight aroma.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Sounds like yeast is one thing i'm gonna have to really sort out..
One kit i'm drinking now, an Imperial Stout,, has a real yeast kick to it.. not for the dickie tummy crowd, gotta get some decent yeasts..

Astral

Another point about stout,, don't bother adding Saaz hops, not very pleasing..
Mmmmmmmmmm na:nono::lol:
Stout's should be un hoppy really,unlesss you do an American abomination of course:-o:smile:. What yeast have you used?. To be honest i find Gervin does well for me in my stout's and Porters. Have a Mackeson'ish brew on the go at present which i used ESB yeast on,remains to be seen how that pans out.Did one with MJ Empire yeast and it wasn't great,hence staying with Gervin.

I know some may cringe but i am enjoying the American stout style. US-05 and loads of hops. I have made loads of stouts and some have been truly abysmal but the USA stout seems to be an easy one to brew. Keep on at it. I have ditched loads of beer but still strangely hooked. :)

If you cold steep the roast grains you can drink it after 3 weeks. I normally do 2 weeks in the FV and a week in the airing cupboard.

I chucked the roast barley into the mash for the last 15mins on my last stout. I bottled it 3 days ago and I've just necked a pint cos I was jonesing for a stout. Jolly nice it is too. Dunno if it's clear or not (unlikely) cos it's a as black as a blind cobbler's thumb and I'll probably have the s***s in the morning but who cares it's as good an excuse as any for a sickie.

Latest posts

Back