Gas or electric

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas is a far more efficient means of heating than electric.
Electric is by far the more accurate if used with a controller.
Do the mash with electric & the boil by gas

Currently use a gas wok hob for a 15l pot, want to increase brew size.
Will the hob take a 30+l pot ok?

I wouldn't dare use the Wok Burner on the kitchen stove for three reasons:
  1. If I ruined the hob (the 30 litre pot overhangs the wok burner) I will owe SWMBO a new cooker!
  2. The boil off from a 30 litre rolling boil is well over the removal abilities of my kitchen fan!
  3. The smell of some brews are better left to disperse outside!
I use a 7.5kw Paella Burner and a Propane bottle to boil up a 30 litre pot. It works fine under the lean-to if the wind is from the right direction or it is only a light breeze.

I heat the Strike and Sparge Water with an electric element. It gives better control and I can do that in the garage regardless of the wind-speed or direction.

I use my 32 litre pot on the wok burner. Seems to be ok...I either put extractor on full or leave extension doors open..or both. Don't get any condensation issues and I love the smell!

I'd rather be gassed than electrocuted, but would prefer a lethal injection over both. What?? Wait, think I might be barking up the wrong tree...

I'd rather be gassed than electrocuted, but would prefer a lethal injection over both. What?? Wait, think I might be barking up the wrong tree...
I think your on the wrong forum Gunge there isn't a death row section Lol

For me it's a question of space and money. If I had sufficient of both I would go gas burner and 3 vessel system. Since I don't I went electric with an all in one system.

As someone said above, electric is compact and convenient. Unless you spend big the elements aren't replaceable.

Gas is more efficient for generating heat but electricity in an kettle element is much more efficient in transferring the heat into the brew vessel compared to a flame. You also need to consider what you electric circuit is like if using more than 1 element, if you want to brew inside or out.

I would say for 30L or less, the heating element doesn't matter, it will heat your wort quick enough.

But from my point of view electric is better. It is easier to control mashing step temperature even using a ON/OFF controller :).

Latest posts

Back